Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random warble sounds coming from my PC?  (Read 5512 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Random warble sounds coming from my PC?
    « on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
    I have a bit of an issue. For a few days now, my PC will randomly play a warble sound. It doesn't seem connected to any programs or anything I do, it's just random.

It's kind of hard to explain the sound, but it's just kind of like a warble sound that lasts 1-2 seconds. Any idea what it might be and a way to fix it?

I'm on W8.1 and I haven't really installed anything recently except Dropbox, but I removed that anyway and don't remember Dropbox having that sound.
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Random warble sounds coming from my PC?
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:02 AM »
    Check Control Panel /Sounds/events...you'll have to play all on the drop down list to find the culprit...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
      Check Control Panel /Sounds/events...you'll have to play all on the drop down list to find the culprit...

None of those are it. Probably makes sense considering I keep system sounds muted.

I did notice a correlation. My normal setup is firefox, steam, and skype. It's not a default sound and I never hear it normally, but I bet it's one of those playing it. Only problem is I don't know how to figure out which one and why.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
      If system sounds are muted you shouldn't hear it at all...
      That being stated i'll bet it's Skype...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
        If system sounds are muted you shouldn't hear it at all...
        That being stated i'll bet it's Skype...

I don't have all muted sounds, just system ones. Like the clicks and the sounds of start up because they're simply annoying. So it's definitely not one of those.

Could be Skype, although I haven't updated recently so I don't know why it'd start. Could be Steam, Steam has updated recently, but everyone I've asked doesn't have the same problem.

Steam and Skype would probably have an install directory that has all the sound files used by the program, right? If I could find those surely I could find the sound and determine what program is playing it. Then I could probably determine why and a better fix.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
        You can find the Skype sounds in the Options dialog, under sounds. You can play them there. I don't think they have actual files on disk, and are either part of the program's resources or inside one of it's data files. Not sure where Steam stores it's Client sound files.

Also: it's worth noting that even if you have system sounds muted, that would only prevent sounds played by the system, and not those by applications- applications can play system sounds. So if you mute system sounds, you would still get say notification sounds from outlook or thunderbird, even though the mail message event sound is in the system sound control panel.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:45:33 AM »
          You can find the Skype sounds in the Options dialog, under sounds. You can play them there. I don't think they have actual files on disk, and are either part of the program's resources or inside one of it's data files. Not sure where Steam stores it's Client sound files.

Also: it's worth noting that even if you have system sounds muted, that would only prevent sounds played by the system, and not those by applications- applications can play system sounds. So if you mute system sounds, you would still get say notification sounds from outlook or thunderbird, even though the mail message event sound is in the system sound control panel.

It doesn't appear to be one of Skype's sounds. That leaves Firefox and Steam. Any idea where to find firefox's sounds?