Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't make any servers and i think it's my router.  (Read 3370 times)

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • "Maths"- If it seems easy than your doing it wrong
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
I can't make any servers and i think it's my router.
« on: December 12, 2014, 03:04:31 AM »
Hi,
i have been very interested in online gaming recently and wanted to host my own Minecraft server for my friends to join on occasion.
But i have been on tons of websites and followed all their instructions basically all i had to do was download the server itself from minecraft's website and open a port in my router to 25565. But EVERY TIME i do it the port stays closed and i know  have port forwarded correctly.
all theirs work and mine never does so i have come to the conclusion that it it my router to blame i think there are some hidden firewall options in there somewhere i have a Netgear WGR614v9 i have been on the routers settings page and there isn't a tab for firewall. I know there was one once because all the websites i go on say to go to firewall rules but i don't have that so i assume that theirs is outdated (because i have the latest firmware) If there is anyone out there that has experience with routers and modems or server stuff your help would be greatly appreciated.

Everything i have done to fix this myself and not worked:
Turn off windows firewall and add java and minecraft to exeption list
changed some security settings in router
follow nearly every help video there is on this topic...

If you need anymore info from please ask and i'll do my best to tell you i really want this to work :(

EDIT: i think i posted this in the wrong section Admins or Mods feel free to move if necessary sorry :P
Me fail English that's unpossible! "Ralph Wiggum"

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: I can't make any servers and i think it's my router.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »
ISP's have been getting worse for port blocking. If you are able to use a different port and it works, then its likely that the ISP blocked that port. I have had to do this for Apache Servers as well as other servers using ports that are black listed by ISP's. A port that I use for Apache servers that I havent had any problems with is port 8077 for example.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »
Surely that cannot be the only Port it works on...check the site for more info.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, i'll try them :D

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
-Update-
still nothing. i think the routers firewall is kicking in a stopping incoming ip's but on my specific router i can not turn off or adjust the firewall my model is netgear WGR614v9 and the firmware is 1.0.15 i'm trying to find an earlier version. Because there used to be a tabs called firewall rules and services and i have been told that those are what i need to fix to make all this work. but with the version i have those options are not there. i went to the netgear website and the lowest firmware they have is the one i got. (the latest firmware hasn't got it either) making these servers is meant to be easy but iv'e been fighting with my router for years now. :(
So my questions are:
Is there a way for me to get older version of firmware on a 3rd party website
does anyone know maybe how to disable firewall on my current firmware

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
I'd flash it with DD-WRT, BUT, it looks like they are still working on making a firmware flash for your model so thats not available right now.

I dont trust firmware from other that the manufacturer or DD-WRT as for someone could offer so-called older versions etc that allow for monkey in the middle and other types of hijacking etc with hidden features added by a rogue programmer.

Routers are cheap these days, I'd buy a new one for like $30 etc.

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »
Yeah i will actually buy a new one the one i want is a bit expensive but i need the extra signal strength and this one should be okay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-AC1750-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router-Brand-New-Pickup-OK-/261248202807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cd39b3837

:)