Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: quarantined a file now cant do anything need pics  (Read 3531 times)

papason3

quarantined a file now cant do anything need pics
« on: November 05, 2005, 06:50:55 PM »
Ok I am newbie to this forum. HI
NOt totaly stupid but dont always use right vocab.

Hp pavilion - windows ME Nortons, works and internet

I got a pop up from norton that said could not repair file. I dont remember what else it said but it stopped something from happening. In the past these have been nothing I just said sure quarantine it.

Well I am sure it was this windows\system\wininet.DLL
and that is the file I keep getting a message saying it cant be found and nothing works without it. Not even nortons.
cant get on net cant open pics. can play games??  

So without acces to norton I could not get it out of quarantine. realy realy want ot save some pics. but cant figure out how. I have tried application recovery disk but it wont load just get a blank box.

I also get "Lexplore caused an error in urlmon.DLL"  

Safe mode would not let me do anything either. I lost track of what I was doing and uninstalled works and reinstalled it so that probably killed my chance of getting the quarantine file but I dont know these things.

I am will ing to use my system restore disk but want the pics at least before I do.  I think I picked up a trojan

Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: quarantined a file now cant do anything need p
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »
Free scanner at www.trendmicro.com might be worth a try. Other free software for virus and trojans is frequently listed here. Look for one of Mac's posts.

papason3

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:27:27 PM »
thanks but I cannot get on the net. cant open anything it always says that file is missing.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:42:51 PM »
Do you have the original Windows or restore CD's for reinstallation if it comes to that?

Lot's of interesting info with a google search for wininet.dll, and some products to buy (not).

If it were me I would just reformat and reinstall a seriously compromised system such as this. Others may post suggestions for a fix which may or may not work in the long run.

papason3

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 12:40:16 AM »
yes i just found the set of restore cd's.

I would try the appliction first and see if I can find the what happened. the thing is most importatnt to us is  that we get the pictures off first. If i reformat they will be lost forever.

That is what we hoped to find out, and then almost as important is ,what went wrong and how to fix it. I use spybot and use it often and the 2 nortons which said it could not fix plus it got  by them to get me in the first place, right?

So I need to know what got in and what to do about it.  Seems like the first window said it was a trojan and norton could not fix it. So if it is a trojan which one??? anybody know?  who is the best free trojan killer??

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 01:21:49 AM »
    papason3......  Norton was designed to find viruses ........not trojans , however it identifies some trojans but is unable to remove them ........D/L Ewido and let it scan your system .......( make sure you get the latest updates ) It should find your trojans .......

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

papason3

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 07:55:25 PM »
    well I dont remember just what I tried, but after another reboot I could get up my browser.

then shortly later could not but still had connection because I could do updates for nortons and spybot. Go figure maybe it makes sense to somebody. after hours of trying lots of stuff some 2 or 3 times I uninstalled Nortons internet security and reinstalled it and viola!! back up again. Thanks for the help and interest.

NEW QUESTION Ewido is only for XP and 2000 I use ME. Got a suggestion for me.?