Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor issue? GPU issue? RAM? I need help  (Read 2249 times)

Nathansswell

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    • I make music!
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Processor issue? GPU issue? RAM? I need help
« on: December 26, 2014, 04:52:53 PM »
I'm on Win7 64x
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual processor 5400+ ~2.8GHz
GPU: GeForce 8500GT 2030mb
-All drivers up to date
4Gb of RAM

The problem:
-The whole computer will freeze when I am playing certain games that put more load on the computer. For instance, Black Flag can't make it through the first cut-scene, but other games like Torchlight 2, or Half-Life 2 can be played for a while and then it "randomly" freezes.
-However, games aren't the only way it crashes. Closing Google Chrome I feel like there is a ~33% chance it will freeze when I close it.

1.From what I have observed, when it freezes, the speakers output a 1/16th repeating sound for a few seconds, then it stops. Sounds similar to this:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7_0c6DwzbNcVHRpbDhnUDhNWkk/view?usp=sharing (Might want to turn volume down)
2.The computer becomes 100% unusable, the mouse does not move, Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work, so keyboard is unusable as well.
3.I noticed the light that usually blinks on the wifi adapter stops blinking as well.
4.The monitor is an old CRT type and when it freezes, it sounds like the monitor turns off, but the picture is still there, just everything is frozen.
5.Lastly, I had a FireGL gpu before, and this freezing problem was never an issue. Leads me to believe it is graphics card issue, I just need a second or tenth opinion.

I hope this information is enough to help you help me determine issue and maybe even solve it. Thanks -Nathansswell

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Processor issue? GPU issue? RAM? I need help
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 06:52:02 AM »
Check temps of CPU and GPU with a tool like speedfan.

Also run memtest86 on this system to make sure that your RAM is healthy.