Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: noob help please  (Read 2937 times)

pcgamingnoob89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • any advice is welcome
    • Experience: Beginner
    noob help please
    « on: December 27, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
    im building my first gaming pc. i have picked out all my parts and have done a lot of research. here is my list and my questions.

1x Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

1x Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

2x  Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB Dual-X Video Card

1x AMD R9 2400 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

1x Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

these are just the main components, i am also using a 2tb harddrive, 120gb solid state drive, fullsize coolermaster tower and coolermaster v8 cpu cooler.

im trying to build this pc so there is not too much stress on any one part. i was gonna go with the sapphire radeon r9 290x 8gb gpu but decided to crossfire and use the 2x 4gb cards. i was wondering if i should use 4x 4gb ram sticks instead of 2x8gb ram sticks? ???

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: noob help please
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
    I would strongly advise against Crossfire - You use twice the power, produce twice the heat, pay a fortune and don't get anywhere near twice the performance.  Get a single better card.  You also don't need a silly amount of VRAM, 8gb is purely there for marketing, for any regular resolution that you would be gaming at even 2gb is more than enough.

I would also recommend getting 2x8gb sticks (If you really need 16gb, you probably don't) as this will leave extra expansion room later.

pcgamingnoob89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • any advice is welcome
      « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:55:46 PM »
      i was gonna get 1x sapphire radeon r9 290x 8gb, but havent decided. and also 16gb of ram is as much as im gonna go. my original plan was for 2 corsair 8gb ram sticks. but i want as least amount of stress on the parts as posible.  thats why i was thinking 4x 4gb ram sticks which would still be a total of 16gb of ram. im just trying to go down the best route. any advice is welcome and much appreciated.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:31:07 AM »
      my original plan was for 2 corsair 8gb ram sticks. but i want as least amount of stress on the parts as posible.  thats why i was thinking 4x 4gb ram sticks which would still be a total of 16gb of ram.

That doesn't make any sense. 4x4GB doesn't "reduce stress" compared to 2x8GB.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

pcgamingnoob89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      • any advice is welcome
        « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »
        like i said im a noob at this. thats why im asking for help. im not looking to be criticized or belittled. i just wanna be lead in the right direction. and i need plain and clear answers. im speding over 2k on this build, and wanna make sure its done right. thats why i say any help or advice is appreciated.
         here is the link to my pcpartspicker account with all my selected parts. please look it over, and let me know what yall think. thank you

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pcgamingnoob89/saved/wJcNnQ

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
        That looks fine apart from the PSU, the CSM series aren't great.  You would be better off with something like an XFX XTR or EVGA G2. 750w is fine though.

pcgamingnoob89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        • any advice is welcome
          « Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »
          thank you. according to pcpartspicker.com im pulling 506w which i think is at an idle. correct me if im wrong.  they say that the sapphire radeon 8gb graphics card can pull up to 434w by its self under full load. but i will never put it under full load with the games ill be playing. and i read that the PSU's run best between 50-80% load. i have to go by what i read and watch. i have no personal experience.  i will look into the other PSU's you suggested.

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 03:31:13 AM »
          Yeah, you could even get away with 650w if you needed to.  Also don't pay more for the 8gb 290x, a 4gb one is more than sufficient.