Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: second hard drive and power supply  (Read 3811 times)

rondijack

second hard drive and power supply
« on: November 06, 2005, 10:42:23 AM »
I installed a new 200 Gb hard drive and converted the original 80 Gb drive to a second drive to store data. Windows XP professional will not recognize the second drive. I have tried changing the drive letter,type etc with no success. The award bios recognizes the second drive and when I boot using a boot CD of Acronis disk director it will recognize the second drive.
I noticed that partway through the boot of disk director this message flashes on and the the program continues loading.
"hub.C: port 1 over-current change."
I am wondering what this message means and if it is possible my power supply is not strong enough to load both drives. i would appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

merlin_2

Re: second hard drive and power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 05:37:09 PM »
How many other drives have you got.......and list pc specs....

rondijack

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 06:45:49 PM »
I have the 200 Gb Maxtor hard drive and the 80 Gb Seagate hard drive.I also have a CD read/write drive a DVD burner and a  floppy disk drive.  I also have a 160 Gb Western Digital USB drive
The operation system is windows XP professional. The CPU is Celeron 1.70 Ghz.
Thank you for reponding. Please let me know what other information you need.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 06:49:03 PM »
And what power supply is in it now? Did you just recently start getting this message immediately after addition of new hardware? Any other changes?

rondijack

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 08:59:18 PM »
I got this message since I added the maxtor drive and made it the primary and changed the 80 Gb drive from the primary active to slave.I am not sure if it happened immediately after or just recently because I have been experimenting with changing the 80 Gb drive to logical etc.
The power supply is an ATX 230w ps. The message just flashes on so I may have missed it for a while.  I hope this is what you want . If not let me know what else you need. I have not made any other changes to my system. The problem remains that windows will not recognize the second drive even though the bios and programs working before windows boots do.
Thanks again. I really appeciate any help I can get to solve this problem.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 09:07:41 PM by rondijack »

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 09:21:46 PM »
Without hearing ANY more a 230 watt is NOT sufficient for all of that equipment.. Minimum 350, and more would be better still. This also would be worthy of a decent supply maker.  A cheaper, but poorly made 500 watt is not better than a 350 watt Antec. These are very expensive components in there that could get ruined!

What computer make/model as some (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc.) are so proprietary that this is not even an option to upgrade these units, and replacements from them are expensive.

So post back with some details and your thoughts, but $40-60 seems a good guess for something reasonable.

rondijack

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 06:16:24 PM »
I want to thank everybody who tried to help me. The answer to my problem was what now seems the most obvious (isnt that always the way)--Windows. My windows was corrupt. A complete reinstall solved the problem and now the second drive is visible.

Mystik1982*

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 05:10:22 AM »
You still need a more powerful power supply.  You would be well advised to get one soon.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 04:28:54 AM »
It may have been the way the drives were first set up (both as primary drives.)

rondijack

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 10:50:27 AM »
No the drives were not set up both as primary drives. it was very definitely the copy of windows.