Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to create search facility to find previous customer details in excel?  (Read 2982 times)

ryan.andrews

I have a page where the customer can enter their details of a previous quote like their name, address, quote ID etc and then I want the sheet to search another sheet to find the full set of details from their quote.
Is this possible? Do I need to create a form or can it be done in the sheet?
I need full details of how to do it please?
Thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Your customers have access to 'your' excel spreadsheets?

Usually something like this is done through a form which is browser / web based and references to a database to search for information from.

ryan.andrews

The spreadsheet is to be used by the sales assistants only. This part of the process is just to save time if the customer has used the company before so no need to enter details again or to recover their previous quote/order. So could I use a form in Excel to find the details after they have entered a couple to distinguish them from other customers? What would you recommend? Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
Have you ever considered an Access Database? With Access you can have an interface that your sales assistant would use and they could simply enter in the customers name or other information and find the customer quickly within seconds or less depending on size of database.

In years past I use to support Napa Tracs a software package that gave automotive garages the ability to track inventory, automobiles, warranties, customers, etc and this product worked very well. Many garages prior to this were trying to get by with excel spreadsheets and it was a big mess.

Depending on what your making quotes for you might find a software product out there that can avoid you from having to reinvent the wheel, although if you want a highly customized database Access is the way to go if you already have it as part of your MS Office package.

ryan.andrews

I must use excel, its a school project only using excel. I am fully aware of how much easier excel is to use.

DaveLembke

Sage
The spreadsheet is to be used by the sales assistants only.

Giving false indication that this is for commercial use

and then

I must use excel, its a school project only using excel

Now we find out its a school project.

Since this is an Excel Project for school, and no option for a better method, I would suggest looking into VBA for Excel. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee814737%28v=office.14%29.aspx

Many many code examples out there on the web to learn technique and build your own code from. The best way to learn this is to do it the hard way which is to research and code up your own code. Then if you have a code example and need further assistance. Share your code with us and we can point you in the correct direction.  ;)

Curious was this project by choice or given to all students to work on?  Are you suppose to be going into VBA to pull this off?

This would be pulled off much better with Access even though you cant use it, although if your allowed to use Excel & Access you could use VBA that references the Access Database from within Excel.

ryan.andrews

I have already tried visual basic.
I will try elsewhere where the "Guru" isn't as rude or someone who actually wants to help.  :P

DaveLembke

Sage
I am willing to help, and thought that I did by pointing you in the right direction.

It comes down to We Wont do your Homework for you; BUT we will assist if you provide a code example that needs clarification.

Your not going to do well on this education path if you expect everyone else to do your work for you  :P

Wow... I have been assisting with online forums for over 10 years and first time being called rude, and didnt think I was. Oh well a first time for everything I suppose  ::)

Salmon Trout

I agree with the kid if I'm honest.   ::)
I agree with Dave.