Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Access on Multiuser computer  (Read 3121 times)

lmbaxter04

Internet Access on Multiuser computer
« on: August 31, 2004, 05:34:42 PM »
I share my computer with other users, and I want to disable the internet access on their accounts on my computer to prevent them from viewing things they should not be looking at.  I am running Windows XP Home.  Please help me.   :-/

Raptor

Re: Internet Access on Multiuser computer
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 06:22:34 PM »
You can configure the Windows XP firewall to block the Internet Connection.

Open Network Connections, right click on your Network card and head to the Advanced tab. Enable the Firewall from there and press the now unlocked "Configure" button to configure the firewall. However, I donot know if this can be done per account. You could turn it on when you are not using the computer and turn it off when you are.

lmbaxter04

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 06:24:39 PM »
I know that when I was in school certain students had access to certain things that others did not, and I thought that the internet was one of those though I could be wrong, not to mention the school was on a very large network.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 06:31:58 PM »
They could have been blocked by the use of a Router.

Router

These usually offer options to block users from the Internet from certain times. They also offer additional protection if a firmware firewall is present.

lmbaxter04

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 06:35:52 PM »
I am just talking about various user accounts on one computer running XP Home.  There isn't a router or anything like that.  I know you can set it up so that the other user accounts have access to somethings but not all of them.  I just do not want them to be able to access IE.

Sean

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 10:00:42 PM »
You can download a password app. and set it to lock explorer so only you can use it (unless someone guesses the password), that way only you have explorer access and you can share if you want, just change the password after, although that may get tedious...

Leah Baxter

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 07:12:14 PM »
Thanks I think I will try that.