Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer start up problem  (Read 12437 times)

Chir6

Re: Computer start up problem
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 07:43:49 AM »
Hmm, Sounds like someones monitor isn't getting a signal.  Your BIOS maybe reset.  does the motherboard in question have On-board Video? or are you using video card or both, and if so, is it plugged into a white AGP slot or a black PCI slot?  Your BIOS my be sending the video signal to the wrong place, (PCI instead of AGP for example) and you will need a card in the correct type of slot to even get to BIOS to change it to the type of slot you actually using.   If you have a modern system, you are likely using AGP, and you MIGHT need a PCI Video card to access BIOS to switch where the video signal to go to the AGP card.

http://www.totalaccessssolutions.com

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 07:55:53 AM »
AGP slots may vary in colour, Chir6. Mine, for example, is 60's green. It is a Gigabyte mainboard.

steve I.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 08:32:03 AM »
its a on board video no card in this unit... has one riser card and i have the sound card attcahed to that along with a eheternet card  and a scanner card. but that it  the monitor plugs directly into the mother board its realy bugging me ....before  this the old PB ran flawlessy

merlin_2

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 03:45:53 PM »
maybe the ports damaged on the mobo try moving it side to side but be careful ...has the monitor got power and is switched on  is the cables ok.... is the on board vid  enable in the bios suggestions you may wish to try..

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 03:48:37 PM »
There is more to hardware than what you stated.

See if faulty memory,CD-ROM drive(s), soundcards, videocards, etc could be causing the problem.

Did you attempt to remove hardware inside the case rather than optional components such as Speakers?

A periphal may be damaged and causing your computer to fail the POST test.

Computer POST / Beep Codes

steve I.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 04:46:02 PM »
In laymans terms Merlin please lol yes monitor is powerd up  and no other Peripherals are hooked up port looks goo it doesnt move but i know one thing this MOBO beeps and the original doesnt with the same set up.  i think im gonna put under the back tire of my blazer shortley lol ....j/k  

merlin_2

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 01:11:53 AM »
try resetting the bios....take the cmos battery out for five minutes....be careful....this problem seems to be from fiddling with the ram stick...i was wondering if the bios has become confused by this ..move..what bios is on the mobo...

steve i.

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 08:46:32 AM »
 Took the battery out.. re installed it and nothing it goes through the tete and beeps once and nothing i wish i had a spare hard drive the drive doesnt seem to start up after that beep the yellow LED light doesnt light up would that contribute to having a dead screen.. MERLIN wave your wand buddy :)

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 09:58:58 AM »
Did you take out RAM sticks, soundcards, disconnected CD-ROM drives, etc, to see if they could be causing the problem?

steve i.

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 11:05:37 AM »
yup started  system with cd rom , sound card, floppy, disconnected, with that done system mstarts up and it beeps once, still same  with the exception the reset button doesnt not function. the search goes on thanks for every buddys help so far :)

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 12:34:41 PM »
Have you considered replacing the Mainboard and Power Supply Unit to see if they could be causing your problem?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 12:35:01 PM by Raptor »

2k dummy

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 01:16:24 PM »
with the exception the reset button doesnt not function

Better check your MB documentation. Sounds like you have something connected wrong.

steve i.

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 04:21:03 PM »
no MOBO docs here  :-[   not on this board 3 ribbon plugs for cd,  floppy and , hard drive and the floppy plus is keyed diffrent and marked the other 2 are the same. thats baout it   2 white plugs on edge of MOBO for power they come from the  power suply plus 2 fan hook ups on the board thats baout it for wiring  there several plugs for  hardwar.  a plug for power to the hard drive one for power to CD rom and a smaller black one to the sound card that goes to the cd rom. other plugs are spares in witch to install  extra hardware.. wish i could take a picture and post it..

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 05:20:51 PM »
     steve i........how about posting the model # and maker of your motherboard ?

let us know
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 05:21:11 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

steve I.

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2004, 06:13:33 PM »
    its a Packard bell 1540 legend supreme 133 mghz model 950-TWR i dont know if that helps there is just a serial number on the board doesnt have a model number

SPECS:
    Multimedia D135

133 MHz Intel Processor

16 mb ram/ upgradeavle to 128 mb

PCI local Bus Video

PCI local Bus IDE hard drive interface