Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Monitor Signal  (Read 2904 times)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

No Monitor Signal
    « on: January 01, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
    I recently built a computer from scratch – lots of fun. But I have run into a problem with my monitor. Everything was working fine when one day I turned on the computer and the monitor couldn’t find a signal (Samsung model # S24D390HL). This happened frequently. My temporary fix was to unplug the computer, the monitor and the HDMI cable and then plug them back in. The monitor then worked fine. I found what I thought was the problem: updating the graphics card drivers (ASUS GTX660 NVidia card). That seemed to do the trick but then one day I turned on the computer, no signal, unplugged everything, and still nothing. I spoke to Samsung who suggested that maybe Windows (Windows 7 Pro) was updating drivers and got interrupted which corrupted the drivers. They suggested trying a different monitor to get a picture, updating Samsung drivers and then re-connecting my Samsung monitor and then disabling Windows graphics card update. They said it’s better to update directly from NVidia site.

My current dilemma is that I only have another older model monitor with a VGA connector. I tried connecting it to the onboard motherboard (ASUS Z87-Pro) VGA connection. Nothing. Is there a way to disable the graphics card without physically removing it from the motherboard so I can use the onboard VGA connection?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: No Monitor Signal
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »
    Sometimes it can be enabled in the BIOS but with most MBoards the card needs to be removed...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
      I found a DVI/VGA connector and was able to connect my old monitor and get a picture  :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »
      Sounds like the Samsung is goin South...

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
        Update: as it turns out, it was not the Samsung monitor. In fact, Samsung was helpful with tech support on the phone to help me troubleshoot. The culprit was the HDMI port on my ASUS GTX660 graphics card. I just got a new one today and installed it. Works like a charm.  :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
        Good news indeed...
        I never suspected the card....warranty ? ?