Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power cuts, can't finish CHKDSK, sound issues - and more! :D  (Read 2706 times)

chessu

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Power cuts, can't finish CHKDSK, sound issues - and more! :D
    « on: January 04, 2015, 08:28:01 AM »
    (I hope this is the right sub-group! Apologies, if it's not)

I am running a Dell Inspirion N5010, Win 7 Ultimate, RAM 4GB, 64bit; Intel(R) Core (™) i3 CPU, M350 @ 2,27GHz 2.26GHZ

I’ve been experiencing a wide range of issues with it over the past year and have lost all hope to IT-services I’ve turned to so I’m hoping to somehow prolongue its life myself until I can afford a new laptop.

The lead-up to my current problems:

First, I started getting quite slow and had graphic glitches and soon after blue screen errors and beeping instead of turning on (this happened straight after I had it checked just in case before my warranty ends at the warranty place)

Eventually, I took it back to the warranty (that was still valid) and they said it was a hard drive problem and said they’ll change it. They ordered the drive while I was still under warranty, but the fixing itself happened after

While being fixed, I got a call saying that my motherboard had crashed (which I figure was the initial problem anyway), but as ‘they broke it’, they’ll replace it for free (I am worried I got a faulty motherboard maybe?)

Had a friend’s IT guy install a new OS (to my knowledge its genuine) and everything was working fine for about 2 months ‘til problems started again

What is happening with it now:
    It’s still quite slow and freezes/doesn’t respond often

Cuts power without a warning and takes half an hour to agree to turn on again. The cuts appear to be random - sometimes it handles hours of Photoshop, other times it cuts in the middle of only using Word; with and without being plugged in)

When it does, it always offers a CHKDSK which I can’t complete as it always cuts power after a few minutes. The only way to get the laptop to turn on is to cancel it and after it gets to the Windows 7 screen, it will stay turned on

Recently, the sound has started to randomly turn robotic and the cut altogether.

Around the same time, I also stopped being able to ‘check for updates’ on Windows Update.

When the battery drains, instead of resuming windows, I have to start it up again.

What have I done:
    I am not too good with computers so this bit is fairly limited.

Tried to complete CHKDSK, but never get past 5%

I downloaded HWMonitor, but not sure what the right levels are supposed to be. I imagine the power cuts are to do with overheating, though the laptop, though warm, doesn’t, actually get hot. The fans do make quite a lot of noise though.

I have tried to check the drivers etc and they seem to fine/not in need to be updated.
    I did a disk clean up, but disk defragmenter doesn’t start.

I know the best option here is probably to buy a new laptop, which I currently can’t afford. I currently have no familiar IT-guys in my disposal and I’d rather not pay £50 for diagnostics somewhere else, as it’s already like 20% of the price of a low-rate new laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions what to try!

I have no idea what to look out for. I currently only had one window open, normally the temperatures are slightly higher.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Power cuts, can't finish CHKDSK, sound issues - and more! :D
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »
    Do these problems happen while the laptop is plugged into wall power or just when on battery power?

Dell has a support site that has diagnostics that might help if it is able to run long enough to run them without shutting down: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-intel-n5010/diagnose

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Power cuts, can't finish CHKDSK, sound issues - and more! :D
    « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
    Sounds like the power brick or battery to me...or both...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "