Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: who here has the best rig :p  (Read 2783 times)

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    who here has the best rig :p
    « on: January 05, 2015, 04:37:30 AM »
    Post your specs and compare  just for  fun

Ill start

CPU: Intel core I7  4930k @3.40ghz
    RAM: 12gb corsair vengence
    Video: GeForce GTX 780Ti
    motherboard: X79-UP4
    intel i7 4930k with corsair liquid cooling
    geforce GTX titan 3gb super-clocked
    corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
    intel 120gb SSD
    gigabyte x79-p4 motherbord
    corsair cubecase

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: who here has the best rig :p
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:05:04 AM »
    Best in what way?  What is the criteria to determine which is best?

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:07:42 AM »
      Most powerful gaming rig :)
      corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
      intel 120gb SSD
      corsair cubecase

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:37:53 AM »
      My Best "Phoenix" Project ---- New Build that rises from the ashes of the dead $492.92 USD is what it cost me.

Gigabyte 78-LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ 125watt rated Motherboard ( New )
      AMD FX-8350 8-core 125 watt 4.0 Ghz with 4.2Ghz Turbo 16MB Cache ( New )
      8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600Mhz ( New )
      EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB DDR3 OC edition ( re-Used )
      Corsair 40GB SSD SATA II ( re-Used )
      Seagate 120GB HDD ATA100 ( re-Used )
      DVD-ROM 16x ATA100 ( re-Used )
      Corsair CX600 600 Watt PSU ( New ) * I had a 460watt PSU that might have worked, but due to CPU and Video card power demands a new 600 watt was the better choice.
      Mid Tower ( re-Used ) - * Had to cut out section of 3.5" HDD bay metal for video card to fit.
      Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium ( New )

Its not the most powerful out there, and its a mix of new and old parts, but its way faster than the prior fastest system I had which was just an Athlon II x4 620 2600Mhz. And when gaming this 8-core CPU is just about idle with like 13% in use with games that would place the Athlon II x4 620 at 80-90% CPU usage. The SSD for the Windows OS makes it very fast boot and responsive. Games and Data are stored on slower HDD, and even though only a 7200RPM ATA 100 drive load times arent bad.

I am hoping this 8-core system will be good for the next 6-10 years.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »
      Post your specs and compare  just for  fun

Ill start

CPU: Intel core I7  4930k @3.40ghz
      RAM: 12gb corsair vengence
      Video: GeForce GTX 780Ti
      motherboard: X79-UP4

12GB of RAM is a slightly odd choice for an X79 board, I'm assuming that's 2x4GB and 2x2GB?  Just curious as to why you're not using 4 identical modules for quad channel RAM, not that it makes much difference in most scenarios.  Also, overclock that CPU, you bought that high-end unlocked CPU for a reason right? ;)

Also out of curiosity do you use the machine mainly for gaming, or is it more of a workstation setup?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
      For me I have the following, it is used mostly as a workstation for software development but has the power to run games if I so desire:

• Intel Core i7 3770k
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • EVGA GeForce 770 Superclocked
      • 16gb 1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws X
      • 256gb MX100 SSD
      • Corsair Obsidian 650D
      • Corsair HX650W PSU
      Then for the rest of the setup:
      • Pair of Hazro HZ27WB monitors (each 2560x1440)
      • Keyboard (Currently, I change around a lot): Topre Realforce 105UB
      I'm not currently planning any major changes to it although I will probably wait until the first non-enthusiast platform to support DDR4 before moving to that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »
      It's mostly documented in the thread I made to get build advice for it, but I'll put it here:

Intel Core i7 4770K @3.5Ghz (I'm not overclocking so Calum will yell at me won't he :P)
      Gigabyte  GA-Z87X-UD3H Motherboard
      32GB Corsair XMS3 (4*8GB)
      480GB Seagate SSD, 4TB WD Red, 3TB Seagate Barracuda
      ASUS 2GB Geforce GTX 770
      D-Link PCI-E Wireless-N Card
      Thermaltake G42 Commander. I accidentally got the one with the Window which is redundant since I can't see it anyway. Not the best case and it has real-estate issues in particular dealing with SATA connections is a nightmare, as the motherboard is far too close to the drive cage, making it very awkward. While plugging in the drives originally I couldn't get a plug all the way in, then it wouldn't come out so I could replug it so I gave up and used another cord and plug, and it is still sitting there.

also using a QNIX 2560x1440 display, and a Unicomp Model M.

Interestingly, I don't use it for gaming very often, even though that was the plan- or rather, I don't use it for anything demanding. The RAM comes in handy since I often have lots of programs open, as well as Virtual Machines, though there is no denying that 32GB is overkill.

I got a K model CPU for no reason other than I could afford to do so, and I suppose in the future I could make use of it to extend the lifespan. I wouldn't do it now since I'm not a fan of aftermarket coolers which are typically a necessity for such things.

Motherboard was selected because of USB3 and wireless gigabit which I ended up not using, though both of those are pretty much standard. Also supports SLI, so same story as the K CPU I suppose. Also my previous build used a Gigabyte Motherboard and it served(Serves?) me well.

SSD for speed. 4TB for data. 3TB because the 4TB was lonely, and for backups.

Also have a front-panel with Card slots and an extra USB3 hub.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »

Gigabyte 78-LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ 125watt rated Motherboard ( New )
        AMD FX-8350 8-core 125 watt 4.0 Ghz with 4.2Ghz Turbo 16MB Cache ( New )
        8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600Mhz ( New )
        EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB DDR3 OC edition ( re-Used )
        Corsair 40GB SSD SATA II ( re-Used )
        Seagate 120GB HDD ATA100 ( re-Used )
        DVD-ROM 16x ATA100 ( re-Used )
        Corsair CX600 600 Watt PSU ( New ) * I had a 460watt PSU that might have worked, but due to CPU and Video card power demands a new 600 watt was the better choice.
        Mid Tower ( re-Used ) - * Had to cut out section of 3.5" HDD bay metal for video card to fit.
        Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium ( New )

I am hoping this 8-core system will be good for the next 6-10 years.

I also have a old rig with a gtx 260 thats just relaxing in the corner haha is the card still concidered  good these days?

12GB of RAM is a slightly odd choice for an X79 board, I'm assuming that's 2x4GB and 2x2GB?  Just curious as to why you're not using 4 identical modules for quad channel RAM, not that it makes much difference in most scenarios.  Also, overclock that CPU, you bought that high-end unlocked CPU for a reason right? ;)

Also out of curiosity do you use the machine mainly for gaming, or is it more of a workstation setup?

Its 2x8gb my bad haha. The whole setup set me back 3600 if i remember right.

I use it as a gaming rig and it loves it played crysis 3 on highest setting and it ran like a champ.
        Also powering it is a 1200w atx psu. Plus cant remeber what model but a corsair liquid cpu cooler
        corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
        intel 120gb SSD
        corsair cubecase

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »
        I also have a old rig with a gtx 260 thats just relaxing in the corner haha is the card still concidered  good these days?

It was a card I bought used from my younger brother for $40 and was way better than the ATI Radeon HD5450 I had prior. Also the card doesnt have many hours on it and so the cooling fan is still good etc. He originally had 2 x GTX 260's in SLI and then he split them up for 2 builds and this card was in the build that he didnt use much, and when looking to sell some older hardware to offset the cost of new hardware, I couldnt pass up the deal for $40.

The nice thing is that i can run Ultra Graphics settings on World of Warcraft and get a good 30 fps frame rate, whereas my older gaming system that has the ATI Radeon HD5450 I had to back off the graphics setting to FAIR from GOOD on World of Warcraft to up my frame rate since the WoD expansion made changes to textures and character models etc, so its more demanding than MoP and prior expansions were.

I also forgot to add that the 8-core CPU I have the AMD FX-8350 is overkill for all the games I play. The only way I see 100%  usage of cores is when running CPU benchmarks. Other than that the CPU is very restful at like 13% while playing wow and playing music at same time and browser open with multiple tabs open etc. World of Warcraft with this 8-core seems to grab 2 of the 8 cores and places them at about 25-50% usage while the 6 other cores are at rest. Not sure why it doesnt balance the load more among all cores or if its due to how the game is coded/designed that it wants to only really grab 2 cores.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 12:54:57 AM »
        Intel Core i7 4770K @3.5Ghz (I'm not overclocking so Calum will yell at me won't he :P)

I got a K model CPU for no reason other than I could afford to do so, and I suppose in the future I could make use of it to extend the lifespan. I wouldn't do it now since I'm not a fan of aftermarket coolers which are typically a necessity for such things.

I'm not saying it's a requirement to overclock K series CPUs, just that I'm surprised how many buy them without doing so.  I suppose there's usually very little or no price difference between K and non-K models, and as you say you do at least have the option down the line of overclocking the CPU, but it still just seems odd to me, maybe I just went too long without seeing a stock system :p

Its 2x8gb my bad haha. The whole setup set me back 3600 if i remember right.

I use it as a gaming rig and it loves it played crysis 3 on highest setting and it ran like a champ.
        Also powering it is a 1200w atx psu. Plus cant remeber what model but a corsair liquid cpu cooler

2x8GB makes more sense heh.  I was just curious re the use of the system as I don't often see X79 setups purely for gaming because they're less cost effective and even in CPU-limited games the 4770K is competitive with even the 4960X.  Obviously for games utilising more than 4 cores/8 threads or for rendering and other CPU-intensive tasks the IB-E 4930K will best the Haswell 4770K, but mostly it'll be a wash.  Glad to hear it's performing well for you, though :)