Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fingerprit device not working  (Read 5086 times)

tousif786

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    fingerprit device not working
    « on: December 19, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »
    hi
    i`m using hp pavillion dv-6 tx-1319 laptop (with 64 bit cpu) which had pre configured windows 7 OS 32 bit and all the hp drivers preinstalled
    the problem arose when i`d to switch to windows 8.1 64 bit, the finger print driver is not getting installed or i can`t find the proper driver
    the hp website says " we don`t provide drivers for different OS
    PLEASE HELP

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: fingerprit device not working
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »
    A quick search confirms  HP does not support Windows 8.1 for that model
    What if I don't see my operating system from HP's software page?
    If the operating system you are looking for is not listed on the software download site, HP does not have software or driver downloads available for your computer and operating system. HP provides software and driver updates for the operating system that originally came with your computer as it was designed and tested for the operating system purchased with the PC. Changing the operating system on your computer (upgrading or downgrading), puts the system into a configuration that might not work with the hardware design. If you you must change the operating system, get drivers from the manufacturer of the component you need. For example, if a computer has NVIDIA video hardware and was upgraded to a newer version of Windows, someone would go to NVIDIA's web site to download and install an updated driver.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:09:56 AM »
    You could try to find a generic driver that would work with this. I have found compatible generic drivers in the past by installing a latest Linux distro to the computer or even more simply booting the system off of Knoppix and then looking at what drivers it uses and what chipsets are detected, writing down that driver info, and then hunting down either a windows based driver that matches to the specific chipset of that device or the generic driver that may also be available for windows.

This is not a fun process and requires lots of time and research.

One other method I have done is copied the driver info off of the prior OS to a thumb drive or disc and then force the newer OS to run the older driver, "BUT", there is no guarantee that this will fix the issue and given that its used for system authentication if it malfunctions you could lock yourself out of your system.

Is there a reason why you cant stick with 7 where everything works?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
    The OP said he was using windows 7 32 bit.  Now he has Windows 8.1 64 bit.

It has been said elsewhere that getting any  32 bit driver to work is a 64 bit OS is not possible. The exception is whee you have the source code.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:13:05 AM »
    It has been said elsewhere that getting any  32 bit driver to work is a 64 bit OS is not possible. The exception is whee you have the source code.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with this...  :-\   I have been able to use 32-bit drivers on 64-bit builds for Windows 7, its just that the OS might alert you to the fact that its not a 64-bit signed driver but of which you force it to accept to use that driver anyways.

While this will not work for all drivers, some drivers that are 32-bit drivers for 32-bit OS's work with 64-bit OS's. However if there is the opportunity to do so, its always best to run the latest and correct for the OS drivers vs off bit type and off OS type.

I have been able to get a 32-bit Windows XP driver for an obsolete chipset for example to work with Windows 7 64-bit with with Core 2 Duo CPU where the integrated GPU was maxing out at 800x600 with the Windows 7 64-bit generic driver. I was able to force it to run the 32-bit XP driver on 7 64-bit and get the 1024x768 that I wanted as well as the correct GPU driver vs generic so that games would run better on the integrated video such as Facebook flash games.

*** Not sure if this holds true though for Windows 8 64-bit as for I havent forced Windows 8 or 8.1 64-bit to take a older 32-bit driver like I have Windows 7 64-bit.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
    DaveLembke, What you say sounds reasonable. If MS wanted to they could have made a way for 32 bits drives to work in the 64 bit environment. But apparently MS did not want that and so the 'experts' tell us it is impossible.
    Universal drivers are now being written the can go both ways. But that does not help for old drivers. Unless you have the source code.

tousif786

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »
      i don`t know guys but i`ve been using most of the softwares having 32 bit specification, they work fine with 64 bit OS.
      i searched finger print scanner driver for windows 7 32/64 bit and installed it (validity sensor and hp simple pass) But looks like nothing changed. ???