Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router Problems  (Read 4217 times)

Geovani

Router Problems
« on: July 24, 2004, 07:22:54 PM »
I have been having problems with my router for the past year, with high Ping and packet loss, so i've decided that it's time I find the solution to the problem.

I currently have a LINKSYS - WIRELESS 802.11A/11B BROADBAND ROUTER DUAL BAND with Roadrunner High-Speed Internet. My router distributes cable to 3 other computers. After problems in the past with the wireless router, I decided to run a Cat5 cable to two of the computers, and a laptop is wireless. I read somewhere on the internet about collisions that may cause packet loss, but the site was not very clear on what to do to see if this is the case.

I notice the slowing when I am in games...and occasionally I get disconnected for Connection problems.

In addition, I have a Motorola SD4200 Surfboard Cable Modem. My modem has gone down several times in the past week. When working, it shows 4 green lights and 1 blinking orange light, but when it goes down, it only shows 3 green lights. To fix this I have to unplug the 3 plugs from the back of the modem and reconnect them. Is there any way to fix this? Possibly getting a new modem?

Also, I don't think the modem is as fault for the high ping/packet loss. Before all these modem problems, i've been having trouble with the router.

Any help that can be given would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks in advance,

- Geovani

MalikTous

Re: Router Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 09:03:11 PM »
I had trouble with a BEFSR41 v2 when we switched from aDSL 512 to Comcast Cable 3Meg. The cable appliance and the router would crash frequently. We restarted them by cycling power to both devices.

We RMAed the router and got a BEFSR41 v3 which works just fine - except I can't get the config page to come up on the Win98 box, only the XP boxes. You might have a bad router, unless all you need to do is update the router firmware to the latest version.

merlin_2

Re: Router Problems
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 03:36:15 PM »
maybe an isp issue...