Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SCSI scanner advice needed  (Read 2958 times)

Elise0511

SCSI scanner advice needed
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:42:19 PM »
I have an HP scanner that uses a SCSI connection. Unfortunately, the computer on which I used the scanner has a blown--an apparently unreplaceable--motherboard. My other desktop computer has only one slot left in the back and the SCSI card won't fit in it or any of the slots (I tried moving the other cards around to no avail). The scanner's only connections are both SCSI.

I do not have the money to buy a new scanner--and my scanner works just fine, BTW.

My questions:

1. Is there such a thing as a cable that goes SCSI male to USB 2.0 that would allow me to plug in the scanner to an open USB port (which I do have) in the working computer.

2. In the alternative, are there SCSI cards that would fit into a standard computer slot in a Pentium III motherboard that would allow me to use the scanner with my SCSI to SCSI cable?

3. If the above answers are no, does anyone know where I can get a replacement motherboard for a Pentium II so I can revive the old computer? Geek Squad at Best Buy here in Lynchburg says there is no such animal.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

GX1_Man

Re: SCSI scanner advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 03:49:18 PM »
Look on eBay for some used Adaptec SCSI cards that have the pin requirements for your computer. About $10 for a solution. They just fit in a PCI slot.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: SCSI scanner advice needed
    « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:55:27 PM »
    Elise0511
    In the alternative, are there SCSI cards that would fit into a standard computer slot in a Pentium III motherboard that would allow me to use the scanner with my SCSI to SCSI cable?

You should be able to find a SCSI card to fit a pci slot ( which you should have on your mobo .........)
    http://ca.pricegrabber.com/search.php?form_keyword=scsi%20pci%20card&mode=g_ca_b_s&skd=1

If you have the older ISA slots .........You may find a SCSI ISA card on Ebay ..........

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.