Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any trusted software system diagnostics out there or are they all trash  (Read 3160 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
For years there have been all in one solutions for system diagnostics and repair utilities. I havent used any all in one utilities in years as for all the ones I have worked with or heard of have always came with consequences of it having features that repair for so-called problems detected in which it actually introduces more problems or actual problems where none may have really existed prior.

My worst experience with such a utility was years ago with Norton System Works 2004 which was suppose to make things better, and other than the sweeper function to clean out cookies and temp files, its other features that would alter the registry would really mess a system up quickly.

Since then i have seen tons of these pop up on google and in banners on sites such as PC Doctor and others. Some of these actually have malware with them etc and I havent heard of any that make anything better.

I personally run a selection of utilities for testing specific targeted hardware, and for software issues I have used  either Windows Event Viewer or Secunia PSI to make sure that programs installed are up to date and do not have vulnerabilities.

Tools I use for hardware have been:

Hardware:

Memtest86 - Testing System RAM
CrystalDiskInfo - Testing HDD and SSD's health & statistics
CPU-Z - Looking at RAM and CPU info
Speedfan - Monitoring System Temps ( The graph temp logger is great for running full screen games and having it running in background and then minimizing the game and looking at the graph to see what the temps peaked at as for otherwise if checking back at a value the temperature can drop quickly when you end or minimize a game. )
Y-Cruncher - Modern Multithreaded CPU Burn in testing
SuperPI - Older single core CPU Burn in testing or Windows XP or older systems
Passmark benchmark - An ok 30-day trial benchmark.

Software & OS:

Windows Event Viewer
Registry Pruner - Karenware ( Only used this on Windows Me system in past for orphan Easy CD Creator entries that were on clean HP System Restore Image from factory which caused a failure of a CD-RW upgrade where it claimed I needed to first uninstall version 4 before I could install version 5 which came with the burner. Add/Remove Programs had no Roxio 4 listed and so it was orphan data that needed to be removed. After removal of the orphan junk version 5 installed correctly.) http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptpruner.asp
Process Explorer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Explorer
Secunia PSI http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Networking:

Wireshark - watch network traffic to and from a system of interest.

Are there any good all in one utilities out there or other tools that I havent used that should be added to my toolbox of diagnostic utilities?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Any trusted software system diagnostics out there or are they all trash
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »
Unfortunately there are no magic bullets. None of those all-in-one utilities do anything you can't do on your own. As I'm certain you already know there are some simple maintenance & common sense procedures to help insure maximum performance (and safety):

1) Make sure the processes (apps & utilities) loading with Windows are limited to those you need at boot.
 2) Unless you are 100% certain you know what you are doing, don't mess with system services. And if you do make changes to services, be sure to write down exactly what you've done.
 3) Have a good AV resident and updated at all times.
 4) Perform occasional scans with both your AV and with MalwareBytes.
 5) Do not perform hard shutdowns unless absolutely necessary. And if you do have to shut down manually, be sure to run chkdsk /r soon thereafter.
 6) Do not visit questionable websites.
 7) Do not download anything unless you are 100% certain it is safe.
8 ) Do not click on or open email links unless you are 100% certain you know what they are and that they are safe.
 9) While there have always been mixed opinions about the need for disc defragmentation in an NT environment, I come down on the "do it" side. I defrag once a week.
10) Dust the inside of the box a couple of times a year (more if in a very dusty or dirty environment).
11) Don't let others use your system. If you NEED to let other use it, create separate profiles for them.
12) Don't let Windows Update install drivers. And only update drivers if or when there is a specific need or reason to do so.
13) Every once in a while look at Device Manager to make sure there are no warning symbols.
14) Stay out of Event Viewer. It will drive you nuts and may cause you to do something you shouldn't.
15) While there's no need to "baby" your computer (it's just a machine, after all), do treat it with respect. Don't cause the hd to be jarred, etc.
16) NEVER, EVER use a registry utility of any sort (other than something like ERUNT to back up the hives). The best registry cleaners are benign and do absolutely nothing. The worst of them will leave your system unusable.

And, in my opinion, most important of all: Use Disc Imaging software on a regular basis, backing up all drives to off-disc media (I use BOTH a second or third internal drive as well as removable hd's for my images and back up all drives on all systems at least twice a month).

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »
Thanks for the info Allan. Was surprised to see this in your list:

14) Stay out of Event Viewer. It will drive you nuts and may cause you to do something you shouldn't.

As for maybe it may drive others nuts, but I found it helpful in diagnosing for example a Router problem I had with DHCP in which the router was dying a slow death where the router would continue to function but when the lease expired, the lease would not get renewed by the system that it expired on. So when testing with all the other systems I had everything seemed fine with the router because the leases for those didnt expire yet. I was thinking the problem was a local issue with the system that was having issues getting connected out bound. When performing a IPCONFIG/Release then IPCONFIG/Renew it would not get a new IP but instead would just stick with 0.0.0.0 . BUT When setting the IP to a static IP of an IP not in use with correct gateway and static DNS info, I was then able to get out bound. Looking in event viewer I saw in yellow a warning about DHCP on this system. And the problem really pointed to the router when the 2nd computer all of a sudden lost its lease to the router and was no longer connected and the only way to get connected was also a static IP address. I rebooted the router and the problem went away until the leases expired again and there was no auto renew of the lease. I replaced the 7 year old Linksys BEFSR41 router and problem was solved.

Quick look on google I found another person whos same router died the same way..  :P  http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=430655

Looking at the full read here it looks like that router had a flaw. Unfortunately I threw it away as junk for the fact that it worked for years and then went out to lunch and even after a hard reset it was still messed up  ::) :

1.46.2 Aug 3, 2004
1. Modified the DHCP and PPPoE Internet Connection
type for stability (Emphasis mine)
2. Modified code for better support for MSN 6.x
3. Modified PPPoE logout that cannot send the lcp-termreq
4. Fixed issue with some website access.

1.46 June 24, 2004
1. Fixed DHCP renewal.

1.45.11 Jun 4, 2004
1. Fixed CGI string attacks issue
2. Fixed UPnP on Windows XP SP2 issue
3. Fixed One way audio issue
4. Fixed NAT-T issue for some VPN connection
5. Fixed DHCP server revision, fill the siaddr to the server address
6. Fixed DHCP (BOOTP) vulnerability issue
7. Added Filter IDENT(port 113) to appear stealth when scanned
8. Added DHCP option 55 support
9. Fixed buffer leakage bug
10. Modified TCP Support RFC 3360 standard
11. Modified PPPoE/L2TP/PPTP fragmentation supports fragmenting
1 packet into more than 3.
12. Modified MTU/MRU function for better handling

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
Yeah, for folks who know what they're doing it's fine. Problem is on support forums you always find posters who say: "I looked in event viewer and saw all these errors. So here's what I did.......". When in actuality there were no "errors", only reports. And what the posters did was to cause problems for themselves. Yes, if there is a real problem and you know what to look for, Event Viewer is a valuable tool. But in the hands of the average user it's potential trouble :)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
I agree...  ;D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:08:44 PM »
For testing GPUs, the Unigine Heaven or Valley benchmarks are decent, larger than average download though.  Furmark is one I don't use much any more, it's good for testing max temps (especially on VRMs) but not the best for testing stability an can cook your VRMs if they're not cooled properly.
GPU-Z is great for checking GPU information along with temps, fan speeds, clock speeds, etc.
HWMonitor is the closest I get to an all-in-one - it can read a lot of temperature sensors which is good, but I find it useful because it also reads laptop battery information like wear levels which can be good to know.
HDTune is good for SMART info like Crystal, also has a decent error scanner and a benchmark tool which as it shows a graph of performance can be useful, if it's erratically dipping down that can be a sign of a failing HDD.  Not much use for SSDs though, I use Crystaldiskmark to bench those.
Core Temp (for AMD and older Intel CPUs) and Realtemp (for Nehalem and newer CPUs, basically first gen i3/i5/i7 onwards) are what I use for temperature monitoring.
I used to use Intel Bun Test (or LinX which is essentially the same thing) and Prime95 for stress testing CPUs but these days I'm under the impression that "realistic" stress tests are better, I've heard good things about Asus Realbench but haven't tried it.

As far as software goes, FileHippo Update Checker is also good for checking for updates, has a portable version too which is nice.  A copy of the UBCD always comes in handy (more for hardware diagnosis but also handy for forgotten passwords or file replacement/partition editing etc).

Hopefully someone may find at least some of the above useful :) that's just what I could think off the top of my head.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
Hopefully someone may find at least some of the above useful :) that's just what I could think off the top of my head.

Definitely useful. I am going to have to check out HDTune. For getting statistics from HDD's with running benchmarks with them to test them I have been using a HDD Utility on my Linux Mint 13 system. I havent had to test any in a while, but it would be good to have a tool that I can use from Windows without having to remove the HDD to add as a slave to test on the Linux box.

HDTune is good for SMART info like Crystal, also has a decent error scanner and a benchmark tool which as it shows a graph of performance can be useful, if it's erratically dipping down that can be a sign of a failing HDD.

I'll be checking this out tonight. Thanks!  :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »
Nice thread. This could be added:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001091.htm
Some HDD tests tools are bookable. And non destructive.