Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting more keys via a mini USB keyboard?  (Read 2935 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Getting more keys via a mini USB keyboard?
    « on: January 23, 2015, 12:14:13 AM »
    (Gotta get ALL of the keys)

So I need to find a way to get a spare few keys for extra keybinds. Now, this is meant for my laptop and I figure the easiest way would be to just a USB based mini keypad sort of thing. Like this basically:

http://www.amazon.com/Cubeternet-Portable-Numeric-KeyPad-Keyboard/dp/B002XNJGRA

Something I can set up so when I need the extra keys, it's a small hand-move away. But now here's my concern. My laptop already has a numeric keypad built in that I use. If I were to buy one of these and set them up, would the USB keypad and the built in one occupy the same set of keys? If I hit numpad 1 on my built in keypad and numpad 1 on the USB one, will they both be the same thing. What if built-in numpad 1 automatically enters a text string in for me, will the USB version do the same thing?

I need to find a solution for extra keys that I can configure using autohotkey so that they are different. I'm aware this isn't the autohotkey forums, so I was wondering more of the technical side while I research autohotkey abilities.
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Getting more keys via a mini USB keyboard?
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:37 PM »
    For General Reference:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey

Programs like Autopilot key do not identify exasperate keyboards.  Windows merges the two keyboards.
    How many keys to you need? 
    I use a commercial program the is different from Auto Hot key
     I use one keyboard and can have over two hundred different macros. I do that by moving up to two and three  stroke hot keys.
    Example: I hit control 1 and a menu of 26 items  pops up. I select a macro with letter.  But if I hit control 2 I get a different set.
    For single stroke macros, there are a number of choices. Using control with a F key gives you about 10  items.

As you your question, No, programs like Auto Hot key lets Windows handle dual keyboards. Unless you wish to write a low-level drive that has to be written for that keyboard.
    AutoHotKey is Open Source. So you could try to modify it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »
    How can you run out of hotkeys and want to add a supplemental keyboard ? ?...which BTW won't work because it will just replace your current NumPad...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:38:27 AM »
      @Geek - Interesting. I might have to just try to find set ups with modifiers and try to get as many keys as I can.

@Patio - On top of the games fundamental keys that I need, I need around 6-8 for teamspeak and another ~20 for additional ability binds. Most of which have to be easy to access as I'll have to be quick to hit some of them usually.

That's why I was looking into an external solution because having something like that pad set up, I could take my hand of my mouse for a second to hit an important key and bring my hand back quickly.

I'll just have to set up a spreadsheet with my keys and prioritize the important ones and set up a system with modifiers.
      Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)