Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word Processing Project  (Read 3317 times)

Mac

Word Processing Project
« on: November 07, 2005, 10:00:56 AM »
I just updated my NVIDIA display driver and found that I now have the ability to turn the GUI through 90° as you can see in the screen-shot...

Unfortunately the mouse then becomes almost impossible to control.

Does anyone know of a way to get the mouse to behave properly in this orientation? NVIDIA?

What I would like is to have a Word composition screen that is upright instead of being on a screen that resembles a television set.

I envisage having three monitors which I can physically rotate through 90°

Monitor 1. In-Box / Read Screen

Monitor 2. Out-Box / Write Screen

Monitor 3. Application / Help Screen

This is the sort of thing I am looking for...

If the margins could be outside of the composition area it should be possible to fit the entire page on the screen so as to avoid scrolling.

I only have a 19" CRT monitor but with a bigger screen it should work.

Anyone?

Microsoft?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:02:29 AM by Mac »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Word Processing Project
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »
    What a head spin!  :D
    Yurn your mouse 90 degrees, use your thumb on the buttons & deal with it. LOL!

Mac

Word Processing Project
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 12:23:39 PM »
    Turn your mouse 90° and use your thumb on the buttons.

I was looking for a more technically proficient solution.

Dell4700

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:42:11 AM »
    Mac,

- theoretically you can modify any mouse to behave 90 degrees off.  Switch the output connections between the horizontal and vertical output pins of the mouse.  This could be done to the internal circuit or the connector (not the PC).  A mechanical ball and roller type would probably be the easiest.

- I wouldn't recommend this for anyone unless you have (and understand) the mouse schematic and you feel competent in changing the wiring. (disclaimer for others)

Of course the mouse will be useless for anything else unless you change back or add a switch to revert to your former connection.

Dell

Mac

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:38:53 PM »
    Mac,

- theoretically you can modify any mouse to behave 90 degrees off.  Switch the output connections between the horizontal and vertical output pins of the mouse.  This could be done to the internal circuit or the connector (not the PC).  A mechanical ball and roller type would probably be the easiest.

- I wouldn't recommend this for anyone unless you have (and understand) the mouse schematic and you feel competent in changing the wiring. (disclaimer for others)

Of course the mouse will be useless for anything else unless you change back or add a switch to revert to your former connection.

Dell

Hmmm. I read you. I could build a changeover switch into the side of the mouse.

I wonder if anyone knows of a software solution?

Dell4700

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 07:08:15 PM »
     Mac,

For the hardware solution, you could use your center button (the scroll wheel), to do the switching.

Other ideas:

- check out this motion sensing mouse:  http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-compact.htm

- or this software:  http://www.liberator.co.uk/liberator/MouseSoftware.asp

Finally, this may sound screwy, but you can mentally and physically get used to moving your mouse the wrong way (90 degrees out of whack).  If you don't believe it, turn your mouse sideways and use it for a few minutes.  Of course, doing this for any length of time may result in serious injury the next time you drive.

I can tell you about the time I spent 2 weeks driving in London and when I returned to LA...

Dell

Mac

Word Processing Project
    « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 01:14:55 PM »
    Thank you Dell, I am still looking. :)