Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random computer lock ups in XP  (Read 2299 times)

David_Burnette

Random computer lock ups in XP
« on: November 07, 2005, 03:20:06 PM »
I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to what maybe causing the following problem on an Intel 3G, ATI 800XL AGP, Asrock mobo, 1 Gig DDR dual channel.

First, I just moved last week. About 3 weeks ago, I upgraded my video card to an ATI 800XL. Up until the move, everything seemed to be running perfect. No heat problems, no lock ups, everything seemd normal. After I fought with the local DSL carrier here in California, I got my PC up and running. After about 1 hour, the computer locks up hard. No one was using the computer at the time and no processes other than the default were running. I didn't think much of it so, just restarted it. Everything seemed to come up just fine and it ran for hours. Then the system locked up again not doing anything on it. I decided to wipe the computer as it was needing it anyway, went ahead and reseated the RAM and video card, and checked the power connections. Installation went smooth with no problems. Windows XP started up as normal. Loaded SP2 and did a reboot. System does not come up all the way into Windows. It hangs on the splash screen that has the scrolling "working" bar. I did a hard reboot. It would not load all the way into Safe Mode, it hung on the scrolling drivers being loaded. I went ahead and started to reload XP again from CD... while loading the XP install GUI, the computer locks up again. Finally, got a fresh clean XP Pro installed with NO drivers and no service packs. COmputer seemed to be running fine and then it froze up again. Rebooted it, however, it would not load into XP.

Any ideas on what might be causing it? I'm thinking maybe a hard drive going bad? I've lost hard drives in the past; but those times the drive literally started making a "knocking" sound and was dead.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. I have no idea what to really look at.... I guess, I'll start stripping parts and trying to run just with video, hard drive, mobo, ram, and processor only.

merlin_2

Re: Random computer lock ups in XP
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 04:44:48 PM »
sp2 is the problem.......uninstall it......

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 04:52:55 PM »
Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. I have no idea what to really look at.... I guess, I'll start stripping parts and trying to run just with video, hard drive, mobo, ram, and processor only.

You might want to test the RAM with memtest86 (free download at www.memtest86.com) and let that run for a few hours. The hard drive maker should have a diagnostics tool for checking that. CI am guessing all the fans are operational. Could you try with a vanilla PCI video card and see if that works OK as well? Bad power supply and overheating are 2 other possibilities.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 04:59:31 PM by GX1_Man »

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 04:57:51 PM »
You have stated this quote;>Loaded SP2 and did a reboot. System does not come up all the way into Windows. It hangs on the splash screen that has the scrolling "working" bar. I did a hard reboot. It would not load all the way into Safe Mode, it hung on the scrolling drivers being loaded. I went ahead and started to reload XP again from CD... while loading the XP install GUI, the computer locks up again. Finally, got a fresh clean XP Pro installed with NO drivers and no service packs. COmputer seemed to be running fine and then it froze up again. Rebooted it, however, it would not load into XP.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you assumptions........to this.^^^