Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse issue, possibly keyboard  (Read 4122 times)

jajohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Mouse issue, possibly keyboard
    « on: February 05, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »
    Hello, I have this problems that I've been trying to solve for over 2 weeks now but with no success.

My mouse clicks don't work as intended in all situations.
    Examples: Clicking a tab in Opera doesn't switch to it, clicking the Play in Battle.net doesn't register. 
    Sometimes the mouse acts as if an altering key/button was pressed - starts scrolling the page while just moving it around (no buttons pressed). 

While these problems are quite minor, they are slowly driving me mad, mostly because I have no idea how to get rid of them.

My mouse is Trust MI-6930C, USB plugged into my USB keyboard - Genius KB-G625.

What I have tried without any change in behavior:
    I plugged the mouse into a free USB in my computer.
    I plugged a different USB mouse into both the computer and the keyboard.
    I plugged a PS/2 mouse into the computer.
    I unplugged my keyboard to see if it's sending any signals that could alter the functions.
    I tried to use the Numeric keyboard as a mouse via some windows function. The result was the same.
    I uninstalled both the mouse and the keyboard drivers, then plugged them back in (which resulted in the driver auto-installation).
    The same thing with a restart after the uninstallation. 
    Checked that the mouse works on another computer (a notebook with Ubuntu).
    Also I did some windows repair stuff, which only told me everything is okay.
    I didn't manage to find a

Then I went to search online for other possible causes, and found multiple sources that said it could be a chip on the motherboard that is responsible for managing the mouse/keyboard inputs, which apparently isn't worthy of trying to change/fix.

So I went and changed the motherboard, the RAMs and the CPU. Used the old graphic card and 2 hard drives. I formatted one of them and installed windows 7 on it (keeping the data on the other one). 
    Then I got through the installation and found out the issue is not gone.

This left me without any further ideas.

My whole PC setup is:

Motherboard: MSI A88XM-P33 - AMD A88X
    CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860
    RAMs: Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL11
    Graphic card: Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5
    OS: Windows 7 Professional (Currently without licence, as I didn't find the key, but I was and will be using a student license from my university)
    Keyboard::Genius Gaming KB-G265
    Mouse: Trust MI-6970C
    Instead of using speakers, I have a Genius HS-G550 headset plugged right into my computer.
    I have a LG Flatron IPS234V-PN Monitor connected by an HDMI cable.

I will gladly provide any further information that is required, run some further diagnostics and provide logs, make a blood sacrifice, or re-check any of the things I checked.

I am thankful for any (constructive) input and any time you spend on this problem, as I am really out of ideas.

Thanks,
    John.

Edit: I'm not sure to which section to put this, so feel free to move it if it doesn't belong.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Mouse issue, possibly keyboard
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
    This will take awhile.
    Some of your remarks are not credible. Example:
    I tried to use the Numeric keyboard as a mouse via some windows function. The result was the same.
    That sounds impossible. Please clarify.

jajohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »
      Pressing the win key + U takes me to the ease of access menu, there I chose 'make the mouse easier to use'  and there is an option to turn on mouse keys. 
      If you turn that on then pressing left ALT + left SHIFT + NUM LOCK changes the function of your numerical keyboard, allowing you to move the cursor by 8,4,6,2 and clicking by 5.
      I didn't know this previous to this problem, and I admit I didn't describe it very well here.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:52 PM »
      You mentioned that you have tested by substitution::
      -did  the moue on another computer.
      -also did  the keyboard.
      -formatted the HDD and installed the OS.
      -replaced the motherboard.

What items have you NOT tested?
      What about the GPU (Video card)?
      Power supply?
      DVD Rom  drive?
      The display monitor?

Have you monitored your electrical system for noise?
      Very rare, but extreme electrical noise will cause computer problems.
      This has been documented, but I do not have a specific reference that helps clarify this. Many reference blame computers as being the noise sources. But TV sets, Microwave ovens, Aquariums,  Medical equipment, Power saws, Welding equipment and even Hair dryers can produce electrical noise.
      The link below is about another type of poor power line quality taht can bother computers.
      http://www.srpnet.com/pq/terms.aspx
      What I am trying to say is there are  still more things to eliminate. Power line quality is one or two things. Or even three.

jajohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:20:28 AM »
        I haven't tested the video card, power supply, DVD Rom or the monitor, as I though they couldn't have anything to do with the problem.
        I don't have another power supply or a DVD Rom to try, but I can at least unplug the DVD Rom, and plug the other monitor to the motherboard integrated graphic card.

How would I go about measuring the electrical noise or the power line quality?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »
        The main reason I pointed to power issues was what you had done. Namely, you had tried another motherboard and still had the problem.  The would implicate either the PSU or something that was disturbing the power quality.

As for power line noise, that  is more difficult to identify. The is usually an issue for Ham operators or SWL people. Extreme noise disturbs computer functions.
        Here is an ARRL article:
        http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise
        If you have extreme power line noise, it will make even AM radio reception bad. So try a small portable AM radio and walk around the house with it ans see if there is extreme noise near your computer.

jajohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »
          Will radio played from cell phone suffice?
          I don't think I have anything small.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »
          The type of noise I mean is more often Medium Wave  noise and is very noticeable on AM. But FM radios do not respond much to MW noise. So trying another PSU is the more piratical test. Also try the PC another part of the house on a different leg of the electrical system.
          Also, in some cases a Wi-Fi device can interfere with a mouse at very close range.

However, there are a number of reasons a mouse can stop jerking or freezing. It is not easy to fix when irregular. Here is a thread from another forum:
          http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281534-28-mouse-jerking-hardware-problem
          I have only seen this problem on my system, but basically what happens is everything freezes for a split second and then resumes. What is seen to the user is the mouse is at one point, and then if you were in the process of moving your mouse, the mouse would jump to the other point after the freeze. So it's like jerky motion. Another symptom of this is the audio. In the same the mouse jerks, the audio will just freeze on that sound for a split second which is super annoying, and...
          Click link for full story.
          Doing a Google search shows many users have some issue with mouse jerking.
          http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mouse+jerking+in+windows+7&qpvt=Mouse+jerking+in+Windows+7&FORM=VDRE

http://superuser.com/questions/199348/why-would-my-mouse-pointer-be-jerky-when-it-cant-get-a-signal-from-my-router

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/company/Logitech/Mouse/page2.html

Sorry, just too many possibilities to say exactly what it is.

jajohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
            I've checked them but their problem seems to be very different from mine. 
            I my mouse moves fluently and doesn't freeze or anything. The "only" thing that is wrong is that the clicks don't register in certain cases.
            So far I know about opera tabs and Anything in Battle.net .

I will try different electric socket or place just to make sure.

jajohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
              Back with some new observed information.

A different electric socket didn't change anything, so I decided to try and check the reminding pieces of hardware that were unchanged - the hard drives and the graphic card.

I tried unplugging one of the harddrives (leaving just the other one plugged).
              I had to get windows on it back from scratch, so I got in the USB and started the installation.
              However, even in the windows installation menu the mouse problems already occured (clicking the window would un-focus it, meaning I couldn't use the mouse for the installation).
              So I tried turning the computer off, switching mouses (mice?) and starting the installation again.
              This time it worked, so I installed windows and tried if the other problems would be there.
              And they are not.
              So now I'm once again sure that it's the mouse, but I would like to understand what the problem with it is, since the problem happened before even after switching it (for the one that now works).

I would also like to use the mouse (I used before and which is somehow causing this). So any ideas about fixing the issue?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 08:21:28 AM »
              Buy a new mouse just like the one you want to use...they are not worth fixing...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Maleke

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 08:52:41 PM »
                One solution is to buy a new mouse.  It does indeed sound like a button is sticking on your mouse.  If you feel handy take the cover off the mouse and re-seat the connector (there is probably only one in there)

Best of luck.
                -Mal