Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: JRE Installation  (Read 2239 times)

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    JRE Installation
    « on: February 09, 2015, 07:26:57 AM »
    This morning I removed Java from my computer with Revo Uninstaller and rebooted. I checked to see if Java was gone from add/remove programs, and it was. I then attempted to update to Java 8 Update 31 by downloading the exe file to my desktop. I opened it and got this error message, 'A newer build of this version of Java already exists on your system. It is not possible to install an older build.'

I then went to Java.com and clicked on 'Do I have Java', and I get this message: 'We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser. If you have installed Java and there is an error with the verification, there could be a configuration issue (eg. browser, Java control panel, security settings) or the Java plug-in is blocked by the browser.'

I then went to Java.com to use the uninstall tool for removal of older versions of Java and got this message: 'Java is disabled or not installed'.

I went into Firefox Addons and Plugins to see if I needed to 'enable' Java in some way but it wasn't listed. I also turned off my firewall antivirus and adware blocker prior to all the steps I have mentioned previously. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any guidance is appreciated
    (The browser I use is Firefox and up to date fyi.) Jennifer

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: JRE Installation
      « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »
      Update:

I ran an app called SecurityCheck. It states that I have Java 8  31 installed, which isn't supported under Windows XP, which is what I have.
      I need Java 7 update 60. I ran an App called Javara to remove it, and rebooted. When I ran SecurityCheck again, it is still showing Java 8?????
      Jennifer

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      Re: JRE Installation
      « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »
      Do you need Java specifically on your browser activities?