Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is my video card dead?  (Read 5900 times)

zoubiamran

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Is my video card dead?
    « on: February 13, 2015, 11:14:58 PM »
    So, some days ago, I was on my computer, and suddenly, the display went off. That was no surprise for me since that used happen from day to day, I rebooted the PC after the display went off. Then it occurred to me that I should clean the inside of the PC (of dust), I opened up the case (while it was booting) and touched the video card to see if there was any dust on it and when I did so, the PC went off. I unplugged it, and moved on with getting the dust off. And when I tried to turn it on, the PC booted and the lights went on and fans, etc... , but there was nothing displayed on the screen.
    Does that mean the video card has died because I touched it with my bare hands? Or anything else?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Is my video card dead?
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 06:13:38 AM »
    I would remove all power to the system and then remove and re-seat the vid card...

I'd also try another monitor just in case...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »
    As patio said, a good reseating sounds like it's in order (that is, remove the video card from its connecting slot on the motherboard [WARNING: be sure power is disconnected and flushed. Remove the power cable from the power supply, then press and hold the power button until the LED indicators and/or fans cease activity], clean the connector and connecting slot, and reinstall the card).

Whenever working on internals/electronics with open circuits, it is wise to use ESD personal protective equipment (such as an ESD wrist band) to avoid compromising electrical components via electrostatic discharge (ESD). ESD occurs when a difference in voltage between two bodies is sufficient enough for electrical current to flow (and in most cases, peripherals like RAM and graphics cards can be damaged by ESD without even feeling the discharge/"static-shock").

When removing the graphics card, be sure to mind any retaining clips that may need attention before pulling the card out. Once out- Inspect the contacts on the graphics card and gently remove any dust with a can of compressed air. Re-install the graphics card into its slot- make sure to re-attach any connectors that came off such as PCI-e power connectors. Re-assemble the case and plug the power cord back in.

if this does not work, try connecting to your monitor using a different port (if using HDMI, try DVI(usually a white connector) if available. Or if using DVI, try D-SUB/VGA connector(usually blue) if available. Sometimes ports go out too, as happened to me a few years back (this is pretty rare though).
    It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

zoubiamran

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Computer beeping
      « Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »
      So if you've noticed, some days ago I posted a topic asking if my video card was dead. I tried the advices given and they didn't pay off. Eventually, I went to a technician, and the PC booted well at his place so I had a conclusion that my VGA cable wasn't working. And one of my two RAM cards was dead (each 2GB). So I replaced them both with one 4GB card. When I went home I tried to turn it on, there was still no display on the screen so I became more sure that the VGA cable was the issue. I didn't have another one to try it on and ordered one. However, today I tried to boot the PC I kept on getting beeps, I tried reseating the RAM but that didn't work. I'm terrified. Any help would be appreciated.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Re: Computer beeping
      « Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:09:47 AM »
      Does the MBoard support 4G RAM stiks ? ?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 07:11:01 AM »
      Please do not start multiple threads for the same problem. I merged your new thread into this one.

zoubiamran

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Computer beeping
        « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
        Does the MBoard support 4G RAM stiks ? ?
        Yes, it does. It worked when I first tried it back at the technician.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
        Are you sure it's the correct RAM ? ?

From Our Archives...

zoubiamran

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »
          Are you sure it's the correct RAM ? ?

From Our Archives...
          Not really sure what you mean but, the card was never changed (the new one).

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
          I was asking if the RAM is correct...not the card...

zoubiamran

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
            I was asking if the RAM is correct...not the card...
            I don't know what you mean by 'the ram is correct'. Sorry, but I'm not that much of an expert in computer hardware. A brief explanation would be appreciated.
            « Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:18:38 PM by zoubiamran »

zoubiamran

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
              And if by any chance this helps, the beeping comes in long beeps and keeps on repeating

liquidc0d3d

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 03:06:50 PM »
                what patio is trying to tell you is if the frequency of your RAM supported by your mainboard.

most supports 1333mhz/1600mhz depending on manufacturers.

the beep you are getting comes from your RAM, try changing the slots and make sure they are pressed in the slots correctly (you will hear a clipping sound)

start your system you should hear a clean beep once only if all goes well.

zoubiamran

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
                  what patio is trying to tell you is if the frequency of your RAM supported by your mainboard.

most supports 1333mhz/1600mhz depending on manufacturers.

the beep you are getting comes from your RAM, try changing the slots and make sure they are pressed in the slots correctly (you will hear a clipping sound)

start your system you should hear a clean beep once only if all goes well.
                  The frequency of the RAM is 1600MHz, and the motherboard does support it. I tried to get the dust off the computer, cleaned up the memory slots, but still it beeps. I do however, feeel that the card is kind of loose, can it be that the slots or damaged? Or the pins? I heard that if they are I'd have to change the whole motherboard.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »
                  The slots have tabs at each end...these need to be opened fully for the RAM sticks and/or card to be able to seat properly...kinda suprised your Tech missed this.