Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Possible problem with SSD  (Read 3029 times)

daddymo3

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Possible problem with SSD
    « on: February 26, 2015, 01:28:58 AM »
    Hello all.
    I might have a problem with my SSD.
    I have a 120GB drive for the operating system. Windows 7.
    When I check how much free space I have on the drive.It says 10 GB free. But when I go into the drive and highlight all the folders within the drive,it says "Size 46.5 GB used" "Size on disk 46.1" Has anybody seen this before? Should I be worried?
    Also,within the drive I have a folder named Windows.old.000. How do I know if its safe to delete this?
    Thanx in advance for any and all help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Possible problem with SSD
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:50:24 AM »
    Windows.old.000 would indicate that this system has been either upgraded from a prior windows version or that a new copy of the same version of windows was installed and the old install set off to the side with a changed folder path. On a 120GB SSD, depending on which version of windows was on this drive prior to I assume an upgrade, you could have a good portion of the space wasted in this old windows install. As long as your current windows is running ok you may be able to delete this if your administrator of the computer. I have seen Windows 7 installations consume anywheres from 15GB upwards. So if you need some space back, deleting this would give you a good portion back.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:52:37 AM »
    You should run "Disk Cleanup" from the Properties dialog of your drive (right-click on the drive in Windows Explorer and select "Disk Cleanup".  When the 2nd dialog is displayed, click on the button labeled "Clean up system files".  That should clear out the windows.old file as well as any temporary files left over from system updates.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »
    NOTE: system old needs to be selected in the drop down box as it is not removed by default...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

daddymo3

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
      I did the disk cleanup,clicked on the button,"Clean up system files" What is,Per user queued Windows error reporting. This has 1.75GB.
      Thanx for your help folks.

daddymo3

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
        After the disk clean up,it's still showing 100GB used. And again,after highlighting all the folders within the drive,those folders only add up to 33.5 GB. Where is the other 66.5GB?

liquidc0d3d

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
          seems like there are some folders hidden on your hard disk or it may be a virus that is consuming free space.

first

open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
          Click the View tab.
          Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

see if you have some folders showing up and have data in it.

also try scanning your Windows partition with an updated antivirus.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »
          download and run treesize to see where the space is being used: http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

daddymo3

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
            There were some hidden files and folders but did not have much in them. No virus or Malware found,using Avast and Malwarebytes.
            I ran "Treesize" and it shows 47GB used. 12 GB being used by hiberfil.sys. hiberfil.sys has something to do with hibernate,doesn't it? My drive is a SSD,so I don't use hibernate.
            Right clicking the drive,presently showing 17.4GB free.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
            hiberfil.sys has something to do with hibernate,doesn't it? My drive is a SSD,so I don't use hibernate.

Disable hibernation and hiberfil.sys should vanish.

To make hibernation unavailable (disable hibernation), follow these steps:

Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
                In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
                When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
                At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter.
                Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

To make hibernation available (enable hibernation), follow these steps:

Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
                In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
                When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
                At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.
                Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

Alternatively, go to Control Panel, Power Options, and in the Power Plan you are using, choose Change Plan Settings, then Change Advanced Power Settings, and in the dialog that comes up, expand Sleep (click on the + sign) and then: 

Under Hibernate after, set the Setting (Minutes) to Never.
            Under Allow hybrid sleep, set Setting to Off.
            When finished, click/tap on OK.
            Click Save Settings
            Close Power Options
            Quit Control Panel