Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Satellite A215-S7444 BIOS Password FUBAR  (Read 10853 times)

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7444 BIOS Password FUBAR
    « on: February 15, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
    Laptop running Vista abruptly developed a password requirement - it was just a light blue screen with a box to input a password.  Everything I entered was wrong, and attempting to start the Satellite by tapping F8 or with a Vista disc brought up that same screen.

I bit of internet investigation showed that Toshiba laptops can be prone to this behavior, and that there's not much to be done other than resetting the BIOS. 

I started stripping down the laptop and got frustrated when I finally saw that the CMOS battery was soldered to the motherboard without a pin connection that could be unplugged.  I soldiered on and saw many webpages that instructed people with a method to short out the BIOS using a jumper.

I unplugged the laptop, removed the battery, HDD, and memory, and used a pair of needle nose pliers to touch this area under the RAM while simultaneously touching a metal bar.  I plugged in the laptop and turned it on while continuing to make contact, holding it for about 30 seconds.

I unplugged, reconnected the RAM, the HDD, the battery and the power cord, turned it on and was prepared to be amazed.

Instead I got nothing.  No video at all.  The machine DID turn on - I could see the proper lights turned on, and the fan was whirring, but no video or sound.

I then connected the laptop to an external monitor.  Nothing.  I pressed the proper keys (fn + F5) to toggle between the laptop display and the monitor.  Nothing.

Is there anything I could have done while attempting the BIOS reset that could have caused this?  And what can I do now?  When I boot with the Vista DVD I can hear the optical drive, but I still get nothing on the screen.     

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Toshiba Satellite A215-S7444 BIOS Password FUBAR
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:08:06 PM »
    I'd open it up and make sure that all cables are properly attached such as the video cable.

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »
    I've had experience resetting similar toshiba brand laptops, and I agree that the soldered cmos battery is a bit silly. Unfortunately, shorting the cmos battery is not a typical method for resetting the cmos, in fact it may cause some harm. The standard is to use supplied jumpers to break the circuit or to send an erase signal, but neither involve shorting the circuit to the cmos battery. Let's hope no damage was done.

To see if it's something simple like a disconnected video cable, look for an HDD (Hard Drive) indicator/LED on the front panel of the laptop (or may be in a different location, but is generally located on the sides of the paneling). If you see aggressive activity, such as what you'd expect from a boot-up, then chances are a disconnected video cable. If you get no activity, then chances are you aren't getting a successful POST (Power On Self Test); which requires a working BIOS, RAM, Processor, Video output device, and motherboard to connect these devices together. The lack of a successful POST would indicate to look at the required devices for a successful POST, and troubleshoot the most likely candidates first. Let me know if you get hard drive activity or not, and we can go from there.

[Edited for clarity]
    I neglected to mention that in this particular case, desoldering the CMOS battery lead (negative) and resoldering the lead back is the only safe method of reset, unless an inset/depressed reset button, that would require a thin object like a paper clip to activate, is present. Such a reset button would be available on the bottom cover/panel, without any disassembly required.
    [/edit]

[Edited one last time for good measure]
    I should also mention that it's important to pay special attention to the RAM when reinstalling, as you stated you did. It's likely that the RAM is stacked, one on top of the other, correct? If so, try to reseat each module- the less metal you see from the contacts, the better. You should not see half or more of the metal contacts of the RAM modules, as they should be hidden by the DIMM slots. Remember to install each module beginning at about a 45° angle at entry, then applying light, inward pressure on the RAM module as you press it down to a flat position (about 0°). This is a capital offender in most laptops, even ones that have never had their panels removed! (Probably due to shock and/or josseling)
    [/edit]
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:22:18 PM by Mist3rdisc0 »
    It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
      Okay, I got the video back.  But also the 'Enter Password' screen.  There is no reset depression on the case, and as I've already put this damned thing back together, I'm not about to redo the whole strip down process again to uncover the CMOS battery.  And even if I were so inclined, I don't have a soldering gun with a heat sink, because I'd be afraid of frying the whole board without one.

Underneath the memory are little beads.  One pair is labeled B500.  I have jammed everything from a paper clip to needle nose pliers to a pair of tweezers into, around and between those beads while turning on the laptop.  And the BIOS has never gotten reset.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

I will not send this to Toshiba - I'll throw it away before I do that.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
      Well may as well toss it then...because without taking it to a Service Center even removing the CMOS battery you ain't gonna re-set a BIOS password on it....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
        I'm perfectly willing to remove the CMOS battery, but the *censored* thing is soldered to the motherboard.

Toshiba wants me to pay the 'to' and 'from' shipping, plus insurance, plus $100 to remove the password - a password that the laptop dreamed up by itself - we've never had a BIOS password on it.  But they don't care - it's out of warranty.

So rather that be out of pocket upwards of $150.00, I looked to you.   I rather assumed that a website called 'Computer Hope' would offer ..... well, something approaching hope.  Or at least some step by step instructions. 

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »
        I've never heard of a BIOS password "dreaming itself up"...

Sorry we dissappointed you though.

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »
          I've never heard of a BIOS password "dreaming itself up"...

Sorry we dissappointed you though.
          Here's a link to a Toshiba bulletin.  Perhaps your sorrow is misplaced - maybe you should be sorry that this phenomenon is unfamiliar to you.
          http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?docId=98082632

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:51:14 PM »
          The notification is an admission of bad design. Other manufactures do not have this issue. Any  proper design does not 'create a unknown password' even if the PC is under stress.

If this happens to a lot of users, it would be the basis for a class action lawsuit. It is bad PR for Toshiba to ignore this problem.
          Under the legal codes of some jurisdictions, expiration of warranty does not exclude a manufacture for paying for loss or damage due to a defective design.
          If you use this computer in your business, talk to the company lawyer. Have him write a letter to Toshiba.

Example: A product that may cause injury or loss of property must be remedied by the manufacturer even after a warranty has expired. There is no exception for the electronics industry.
          Reference:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_liability
          Theories of liability
          In the United States, the claims most commonly associated with product liability are negligence, strict liability, breach of warranty, and various consumer protection claims. The majority of product liability laws are determined at the state level and vary widely from state to state. [2] Each type of product liability claim requires different elements to be proven to present a successful claim.
          Talk to the man.  :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 06:03:50 AM »
          The bulletin is from 2009...

The issue was resolved in later manufacturing.

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »
            The bulletin is from 2009...

The issue was resolved in later manufacturing.
            Thank you Captain Obvious.  And what do your little remarks have do with anything pertinent?  It doesn't matter than the bulletin dates from 2009 - so does the laptop.  And is it really necessary to point out that the issue being resolved in later manufacturing has absolutely zero relevance to me?  I'm sure people's whose Ford Pinto exploded in the late 70's took little solace knowing that the gas tank issue was resolved in later manufacturing.  Sheesh....

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:36 AM »
            You sir are taking everything stated out of context...Best of Luck to you.

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
              You sir are taking everything stated out of context...Best of Luck to you.
              Perhaps your obvious lack of education extends beyond computer BIOS - it's patently impossible to take what you said 'out of context' when I've quoted you word for word.   Do you know what out of context means?  It means that I've taken part or parts of what you said, and used only those portions to reinforce my position.  A second grader could see that there's nothing 'out of context' in my remarks.  You said something pointless, that you no doubt intended to be self-serving, in some sort of pathetic attempt to wipe the egg off your face.

Other people on this forum are knowledgeable and helpful.  You sir, are not among them.

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
              I sent you a PM boweasel, unfortunately the instructions I sent do include removing the case again (if there were another way, I would have given that option but alas, Toshiba didn't make this one easy). Also, some local shops can and are willing to do this service (as much as I don't like them, even Geek Squad offers this service at most locations-- again, I would put the cap on this service at $50 for a half hours labor- no parts are required aside from a soldering iron). Please PM me if you need further assistance as I (regrettably) do not intend to return to these forums.
              It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »
              Not the 1st time you have attacked me...you been doin it for years...
              you are a bitter person when the replies do not suit you...

Fact of the matter is exactly what i stated...the only way to get it re-set...NO matter why it happened is a Factory Authorised Toshiba center...
              BTW you stated you are retired IT spec...if you are you would know that removing the CMOS battery will not do squat when it comes to a BIOS password re-set...

Again...Best of Luck to you.