Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Key Tweak  (Read 3111 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Key Tweak
    « on: February 18, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »
    Does anyone have experience of the utility Key Tweak (available in Downloads) and in particular its suitability for use with a Windows 8.1 PC?  I recently purchased a !0" Tablet with a keyboard.  It is set to UK English but a few of the keys are not correct and could do with being re-mapped. For example the " symbol I have just used required the @ key to be clicked, and the " symbol is on the @ key!

The pdf manual that comes with Key Tweak only goes up to Windows 7.  I have emailed the publisher but the manual was written some years ago so there is a good chance the email will not reach its intended destination.   

Clayto2

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Key Tweak
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
    The freeware you mentioned is one of many like tools that can remap your keyboard.

This feature dates back to the early days of DOS when MS allowed different keyboard layouts to be use with DOS and Windows. It was real irritating if you bought a computer with the wrong layout. I got a PC in Bolivia that  had a Brazilian Portuguese layout.  Not what I needed!

All current versions of Windows have some way of doing a remap of the keyboard. One popular option is to have two layouts that you can toggle.

In Windows 8.1 search for 'keyboard layout' and see what you find.

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Key Tweak
      « Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »
      Thanks for the information Geek, I will investigate what my current Windows might be able to do.  I know it has a number of language options (mine is UK English).  There are only about 4 keys that are wrong, they are not letters but things like# and @.  I can live with that but at times it is responsible for me making an unseen error entering a password.

Clayto2