Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are embedded microprocessor the same as microprocessors?  (Read 3585 times)

Qalbi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Are embedded microprocessor the same as microprocessors?
    « on: February 14, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
    Hey guys I'm doing an assignment and I just want to be clear in the whole microprocessor business. Can anyone verify whether 'embedded microprocessor' http://www.gsd.ece.buap.mx/DocumentosSistemasDigitales/ComputerSystemsDesign/Microprocessors/trends-inEmbedded-Microprocessor-Design.pdf is the same as 'microprocessor' http://www-micro.deis.unibo.it/~romani/Dida03/lezioni/articoloyung.pdf ?

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Are embedded microprocessor the same as microprocessors?
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:35:49 PM »
    I think it depends on the perspective you take. Both are capable of handling the same inputs and outputs, but perhaps it comes down to form factor being the difference? By that, I mean that embedded generally refers to Surface Mounted Technology (SMT) versus something like an Intel ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket microprocessor. One is replaceable (ZIF)whereas the other is generally considered non-serviceable(SMT). This difference aside, I believe the two are (or at least can be) identical. Hope this helps. :)
    It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:54:10 PM »
    Why would your textbook make a distinction?
    The two names do not  have an exclusive definition.
    Embedded often means 'not visible' or not programmable by the user.
    Here is a short scours about embedded devices:
    http://www.tacnetsol.com/embedded-device-exploitation/
    This course is designed for hackers, tinkerers, and hobbyists with limited experience and an interest in embedded systems analysis. The course starts with a basic introduction to electronics, using a series of hands-on lab exercises to give the student a comfortable foundation using various embedded analysis tools and techniques, including exercises in extracting and analyzing flash images from live hardware. Students will learn how to identify and extract critical data in the firmware, and perform basic vulnerability analysis on embedded code.
    Embedded devices could be almost any electric device that could benefit from advanced features.
    Coffee maker.
    Hot Water heater.
    Home entertainment.
    Answering machine.
    Grange door opener.
    With an embedded microprocessor, such devices can have a very flexible schedule of on and off times suited to the homeowners personal habits.  :)

Qalbi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 12:20:33 AM »
      I think it depends on the perspective you take. Both are capable of handling the same inputs and outputs, but perhaps it comes down to form factor being the difference? By that, I mean that embedded generally refers to Surface Mounted Technology (SMT) versus something like an Intel ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket microprocessor. One is replaceable (ZIF)whereas the other is generally considered non-serviceable(SMT). This difference aside, I believe the two are (or at least can be) identical. Hope this helps. :)
      Thanks, I am writing on how trends are affecting microprocessor performance so I guess they're both the same. Thanks for the explanation, I needed to be sure because there were so many terms being used I'm not sure which is the correct and accurate one.

Why would your textbook make a distinction?
      The two names do not  have an exclusive definition.
      Embedded often means 'not visible' or not programmable by the user.
      Here is a short scours about embedded devices:
      http://www.tacnetsol.com/embedded-device-exploitation/Embedded devices could be almost any electric device that could benefit from advanced features.
      Coffee maker.
      Hot Water heater.
      Home entertainment.
      Answering machine.
      Grange door opener.
      With an embedded microprocessor, such devices can have a very flexible schedule of on and off times suited to the homeowners personal habits.  :)

Thanks, I always thought embedded means something that is placed inside a technology

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 01:32:30 AM »
      Thanks, I always thought embedded means something that is placed inside a technology
      That's what he said.

Also domestic appliances of all kinds, phones, TVs, cameras, cars, trains, planes, industrial equipment.

As the name implies, embedded processors are buried inside the product or the equipment. An embedded processor is a microprocessor that is used in an embedded system. These processors are usually smaller, use a surface mount form factor and consume less power. Embedded processors can be divided into two categories: ordinary microprocessors and microcontrollers. Microcontrollers have more peripherals on the chip. In essence, an embedded processor is a CPU chip used in a system which is not a general-purpose workstation, laptop or desktop computer.

Maleke

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 02:08:57 AM »
        Lots of great, but long answers.  This is a typical "is-a" relationship.  An imbedded microprocessor is a type of microprocessor. 

Imbedded processors:
        • Not the focus of the system
          • Cell phone
          • Calculator
          • Coffee maker
        • Generally non replaceable

I bet we could get very technical here, but I don't want to go there unless you drive us there yourself.

-Mal

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:13:59 PM »
        Examples from the web for imbed

The point is, technology is already imbedded into our lives and has been for a couple of decades.
            Archaeologists found three ribs from the right side of a body imbedded in the sediment that has filled the sub.
            Until the cell phone is imbedded into my skull, it is merely a tool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
        That's perfect Geek...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Maleke

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »
          Embedded

I'm taking it back.  Just because it has fallen out of favor doesn't mean it is wrong.

-Mal

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 11:30:58 AM »
          OK, I'll concede the variant (but rare) spelling, if you will concede that 'datum' is the singular of 'data' (plural).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
          da·tum
          ˈdātəm,ˈdatəm/
          noun
          noun: datum; plural noun: data

1.     a piece of information.
                  an assumption or premise from which inferences may be drawn.
              2.     a fixed starting point of a scale or operation.