Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can a 32bit based computer be changed to 64bit without changing the motherboard?  (Read 3334 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
Taking for example Dell Dimension 4700, or Dell Optiplex GX260.
Can i simply remove the processor and change it for an other one? because right now if i put a 64bit windows 7 disc it says the computer is not compatible.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Taking for example Dell Dimension 4700, or Dell Optiplex GX260.
Can i simply remove the processor and change it for an other one?
because right now if i put a 64bit windows 7 disc it says the computer is not compatible.
Sometimes, if replacement cpu hardware compatible with the motherboard.

I would not recommending upgrading either one of these to Win7-64bit.  They are too old & too slow.  Win7-64bit needs a minimum of 4GB RAM.

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
well i have 4 gb installed but only 3 are useable and its sad because a lot of games cannot be played  smoothly on in

Salmon Trout

Dell Dimension 4700, Dell Optiplex GX260, both 32 bit hardware. You cannot upgrade either to any 64 bit cpu.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I have a Dell that can run 64 bit Windows 7. But I had a problem with it.  Somebody did an 'upgrade' by using a newer CPU with better performance. Sad to say, it was not fully compatible with eh chip set and the video was not reliable.
It is a DX 520. I had to find the older CPU. And it works fine now on windows 7. Now here is the sad part. I can not run Windows 8.1 on it. There is an instruction that is not found on the CPU.  End of the road.
Moral of the story: Older computers and not a good choice for new 64 bit Operating Systems. Avoid using a computer  over 7 years old unless you know for sure  it has been tested for 64 bit Windows.

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
thanks, i'll sell those oldies then