Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SATA III connections. Connect to what?  (Read 2593 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    SATA III connections. Connect to what?
    « on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:50 AM »
    Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and new to the PC world.  I am currently buying all the components to do my 1st PC build.

My PC will be used mainly for basic home use.  Primarily store home pics/vids and music.

I currently am not a gamer, but do intend to play some gaming In the future. Hoever I do not anticipate being a hardcore gamer.

I am building my PC as future proof as possible.  I am buying components that are more then adequate for my needs.  But that's the fun of building.

-------------

I have a question about SATA III connections.

I recently purchased a Corsair PSU.  I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it is a CX750 and has 6 SATA III connections.

SATA III connections connect into.... (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1: my SSD

2.  my HDD (I do intend to run a raid o HDD).  Si with 2 HDDs in RAID O, that requires 2 SATA III connections?

3.  MY optical drive.  (If I choose to go with an internal).

4.  My card read ( If I go with an internal )

Does a SATA III connections plug into my liquid cooling unit?  I am looking into going with a Corsair 100i?  Or does that plug into my MOBO?

Does my graphics card plug into a SATA III connections?  Or does that plug into my MOBO

Case fans and internal fans:  My case has an exhaust and 2 intake fans.  I do intend to add some HDD fans.  What do all the fans connect into?

Thanks for reading and helping.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: SATA III connections. Connect to what?
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:36 AM »
    They will connect to your optical drive and hard drive/SSD for sure.  It will not connect to your graphics card and chances are not the card reader as this will be powered off of the USB header.  The H100i will use a SATA power connection to power the pump.

Why not just wait until you have all the parts and then you will see what they are meant to connect to.

Also, RAID 0 HDDs, are you sure?  You already have an SSD for performance, running HDDs in RAID 0 is going to double your chances of total data loss, if one drive fails, all data on the array is gone.

Feel free to get us to check the rest of the parts you are looking at before purchase.