Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP EliteBook 6930p squeaks  (Read 4100 times)

martynasj

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    HP EliteBook 6930p squeaks
    « on: February 23, 2015, 12:55:34 PM »
    Hello, I bought used HP EliteBook 6930p laptop from ebay a year ago, I don't remember if that squeaking noise was there, but now it definitely is, it's high pitched eeeeeeeeeeee sound. I replaced old laptop HDD with Kingston SSD and laptop fans seems to work okay (from sound). I googled the symptoms and found many similar problems with different laptops also many versions from where the sound comes (display, sound card, power supply ...), but seems there are no solutions, so I try my luck here. Maybe someone is familiar with similar problem or have some suggestions, any information is appreciated.
    I recorded the sound here, the quality is bad so increase your volume, in reality it's louder.

Laptop: HP EliteBook 6930p
    CPU: 2.4-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
    RAM: 4GB
    GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
    SSD: Kingston V300 240GB SATA3

martynasj

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: HP EliteBook 6930p squeaks
      « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:31:34 AM »
      UPDATE: While browsing in BIOS, the sound is gone, it starts when windows logo appears on the screen. I tried to disable sound card from device manager, but that sound still existed.

martynasj

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:35:30 AM »
        UPDATE: Still waiting for some advices. I tried to disable almost all devices from BIOS that I could (WLAN, Bluetooth ...), the sound remained. Then I booted Linux distribution from CD, still the sound remained. Then I launched Memtest86, there were no sound during the test, so I thought that CPU might be the problem. I launched ''Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool'' and something changed, during the test high pitched noise was gone, there was very quiet constant buzzing instead. When all tests were passed (without any problem) the high pitched noise appeared again. So I'm pretty sure CPU is making that noise. During the test CPU usage according to Task Manager was 100%. I attached test results from Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool.
        So is there something that could be done to reduce that noise, maybe change CPU frequency a bit?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:03 AM »
        My 6930P suffered with this, it's basically capacitor whine.  Nothing you can really do about this, it won't be the CPU itself making the noise but the capacitors on the laptop's motherboard.
        Not sure how loud yours is in person, mine was loud enough to be noticeable but not terribly annoying so I just lived with it.

martynasj

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:46 AM »
          When I figured out where is the problem, I found some more information about it, particularly here and if you don't want to read whole thread here is the solution which helped me:
          Could be power management issue - try this - works a treat
          1. Execute: "regedit"
          2 .Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b¬740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-215849¬2d58ad
          3. Change Attributes from 1 to 0.
          4. Then, through the control panel - power - in the settings mode select power management processor. There will be an option disabling idle processor and high pitched noise immediately disappears.

It seems that
          cpu will run a bit hotter and the power consumption will increase
          because of this, but noise is gone  and I'm happy :)   

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
          You sure you wanna do that on a laptop ? ?

If so you need a solid Temp monitoring app...preferably 1 that runs in the tray...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "