Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: a free program to show how steady my network connection is  (Read 2908 times)

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    a free program to show how steady my network connection is
    « on: March 02, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »
    Hi all,
    I recently signed a new contract with my ISP. They agreed to upgrade my network connection. The connection speed, as they told me, would increased at least two times faster.  They also told me that my MODEM was too old, and they would replaced it with a new one. When the new setup was done, I could see that my network connection became faster. It used to take 5 seconds before I could reach Youtube, now it only took me 2 seconds. When I was happy and enjoyed watching the videos on Youtube, however,  I found that my network connection was not stable, and my computer was disconnected from the Internet every several minutes. I talked to my ISP about this problem, but they wanted me to prove that the problem was caused by their defective MODEM. The problem persists, but I have no idea how to show them the truth.
    So, I am wondering if there are any free program to help me out. I mean, I need a free program to show graphic about my network connection against time when I connect to Youtube.

Please help if you could!

Thank you!

Kitty

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: a free program to show how steady my network connection is
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
    Hard to do. Some sites, like You Tube, have problems at some time during any 24 hours cycle. In some regions there is a very heavy demand. Plus the site has to do maintenance, which can slow down sped.

In some areas you can get free Wi-Fi service and use that for a comparison. Your ISP ought to be better than a free Wi-Fi in your area.

Xfinity WiFi is available in some parts of the USA as a free Wi-Fi trail for two hours in one month. (No, this is NOT an endorsement.)
    https://portal.nnu.com/xfinitywifi/loginsuccess

You did not say if your service is DSL or Cable or wireless. Let me say that in  some areas DSL really is a poor choice it the local phone company  does not maintain the copper wires.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: a free program to show how steady my network connection is
    « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:04:43 PM »
    Have a look at the Thinkbroadband ping monitor, I posted about it here - http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,137695
    You'll need to sign up for an account but I think it's well worthwhile, you can track connection issues over time and then see a neat graph of your ping and any dropped connections over time.
    Hope you find it useful :)