Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Damaged CPU socket  (Read 3017 times)

lordvader781

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Damaged CPU socket
    « on: March 07, 2015, 09:44:44 PM »
    I am in the process of building a new PC. The parts arrived recently and I was able to start assembling today. When it came time to install the CPU, I opened up the socket on the motherboard and removed the plastic cover. What immediately caught my I was that it looked like there was a pin missing. Getting a LED flashlight and a magnifying glass only helped so much. I took a picture with my phone which gave me a better look, but I am still not sure if the pin is missing or just bent. I have attached the image to this post. Is there anything I can do or will I need to get another motherboard?

I bought everything from New Egg. It seems there return policy doesn't allow for damaged sockets.

Specs:
    MB: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H LGA 1150
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Damaged CPU socket
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:41:05 PM »
    Hard to say. You could try  to contact the company and ask them how you can tell if part of the socket is damaged. The Intel LGA 1150 is not symmetrical. It has what might seem to be 'missing' places. Is that what your mean?

To see more, click on this:
    images of Intel socketLGA155
    Does that help?   :)

lordvader781

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:17:44 PM »
      I've added a new image with the missing/bent piece circled. To me it looks like there is a pin missing.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 03:12:07 AM »
      You definitely have a damaged pin there.  Your issue will be trying to prove that you didn't do it as the default stance of any retailer will be that the boards are QC'd by the manufacturer, then ship with a socket protector, so any damage to the socket between the manufacturer and end-user is hugely unlikely.  I can say I've handled thousands of Intel boards and I can remember no more than 3 that came with socket damage out of the box - one socket was absolutely decimated with about half the pins mashed and the socket protector itself was damaged too, the other two had a single bent pin.  So, while it's theoretically possible, it is very unlikely, hence why they take that stance.
      You could try your luck with Newegg, or you could contact Gigabyte directly and see if they'll assist.  It's very difficult to see accurately in pictures but if you have a good magnifying glass, you could take a closer look to determine if the pin is bent or totally missing, if it's bent you may be able to fix it but I would try your luck with Newegg and Gigabyte before attempting it as you do run the risk of making it worse.

lordvader781

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:49:27 AM »
        Okay, thanks for the information. I'll try my luck with New Egg first.