Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: command script for batch copying file date stamp  (Read 3014 times)

killa47

command script for batch copying file date stamp
« on: November 09, 2005, 05:04:09 AM »
 :(I have recently converted several thousand Lotus Wordpro files to MS Word, leaving the new files with a current date. I need to redate them to the same modified date as the old files. Think I need a script equivalent to "for each file in *.doc do set modified date to *.lwp modified date".
Any kind soul advise the command prompt script for this, please.

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: command script for batch copying file date sta
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 03:57:09 PM »
Back in the old days, there was a command line utility called TOUCH that would work. The new and improved version runs under windows and is interactive. If you have an old copy of TOUCH you could incorporate it into a script.

The fact that you need to recover the original DateModified field only adds to the complexity. Scripts can only see DateModified as a read-only property.

Let us know if you have the batch version of TOUCH. 8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

killa47

Re: command script for batch copying file date sta
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 12:01:05 PM »
Thanks for your info. I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 which doesnt have TOUCH.

I wondered if using PERL or another language might work, there must be a script which can redate the file. I used to use Kermit et al in Unix, so might this be a way.