Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying selected files  (Read 3095 times)

szechowy

Copying selected files
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:24:20 PM »
I have Adobe Photoshop on my home desktop. (Dell Dimension 3000 running Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002) I would like to copy  files to my laptop on an ongoing basis to have a 'mirror' album on laptop.  I mapped the folder on the desktop to a drive on the laptop.  I would use the "xcopy" command, but I only want to copy certain files (pictures).  When you edit a picture in Photoshop it keeps the original, and appends "_edited" to the original filename.  I only want to copy edited images, plus all originals that were not edited, because if I copied all, Photoshop would show edited and unedited pictures in laptop catalog, when I imported images.  The program I have in my head goes like this "For every file in directory, assign filename(without .jpg extension) as 'x'.  If there exists 'x'_edited, copy 'x'_edited, else copy 'x'."  It does not seem like batch file commands can do this.  Any advice on how to accomplish this elegantly? Or advice on where to look for more powerful programming tools that are easily available?

Thanks in advance

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Copying selected files
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 06:10:57 AM »
You already have a couple of scripting languages installed on your machine (vbscript and jscript). At first, this seemed simple but if you have a _edited file then presumably you have the same file without the _edited tag. This fact alone adds complexity not easily coded with batch language. (Not impossible, just difficult)

Check out the Script Center for some ideas and techniques. It's everything you probably wish you knew about scripting.

Good luck. 8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

szechowy

Re: Copying selected files
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'll look it up.  If anyone has any magic, I'm all ears.