Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: set associations  (Read 2648 times)

paulf

Topic Starter

Rookie

set associations
    « on: March 12, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
    I am using Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron.  I have a second user using her own account.  However, whenever she tries to open a file or use a program that I have installed, for example, Adobe reader, a message pops up indicating that there is no association created for the program.  I am directed to go to the "set associations control panel" to set an association.  Does anyone know where such a control panel is located?
     Thanks in advance for your help

Kando

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: set associations
      « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »
      If you click Start, then type Default Programs in the search box you will get it. Click on the second option, scroll down to the extension you need. Click on that and click the button Change Program. Click Browse and navigate to the program you want to use, click open, select "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", click ok and you should be fine. Looks like this is account specific, so you may have this problem with any other accounts you set up on the computer.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: set associations
      « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »
      Right-click on the file you want to open and choose "open with". Choose "always use the selected program...." and navigate to the program you want it to open with.