Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LAN connection not working suddenly  (Read 4036 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
LAN connection not working suddenly
« on: March 12, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »
Hello All!

This issue is pretty complicated but I will start with this first -

I am in a dorm so I do NOT have access to the modem / router settings, unfortunately.

No one else on my floor has this issue. Plus, my laptop works connecting with the same port and wire, So I am very sure it is something on my computer. My computer is the same as in my specs/my profile witht he only difference being it runs only Windows 7 now, no longer Ubuntu.

First,

I have used the LAN in my dorm for about 2 months with no issues. Today, when I turned on my computer, the network is called "Unidentified Network" and I cannot connect to the internet.

I have gotten more and more desperate as this issue persists.

The steps I took:

1. Restarted (no change)
2. Changed ports in wall (no change)
3. Changed ethernet wires (no change)
4. Connected ethernet wire to laptop (LAN internet works fine there).

At this point I determined it is most likely my desktop that is having an issue.

5. Did ipconfig flush/release/renew and I get the following errors:

-On flush, everything seems fine. On release, I get an error:"An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Psuedo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified". On renew, it hangs for quite some time then it says:"An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: Unable to connect to your DCHP server. Request has timed out. An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Psuedo-Interface 1 : The systems can not find the file specified."

6. Uninstalled and reinstalled the same version of network adapter driver I have been using (using the disc that came with my motherboard)
7. Uninstalled and installed newest version of network adapter (From the manufacturer's site).
8. Reset the TCP/IP stack using this guide: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357
9. Googled A LOT. Don't have McAfee service, so of course can't disable that. Few other things (like the ip release/renew) I did multiple times.
10. Did system restore, didn't change anything. Checked for Windows updates, there were 2, installed them, no changes.
11. There are NO yellow/red marks in Device manager. When I go into my network adapter, it says this device is working correctly.
12. Gave in, bought network card. Installed card, plugged in cord - NO CHANGE.

Here I decided it HAS to be some sort of setting issue.

13. Checked Internet settings, and all the IP/DNS stuff is set to "automatic".

Other notes:
- My ip is showing as 169.254.125.110 which I know it shouldn't be a 169.x.x.x address. however, I am not sure how to fix this. When I plug the ethernet cord into my laptop, it correctly configures with a different IP. Plug back into desktop, gives me a new 169 address.
- IPv4 Gateway, DNS Server, and Gateway server are all blank in my Networks Connections.
- Nothing new was installed / happened. I use this desktop for research/school work, so I rarely install anything new on it. No crashes, bluescreens, or anything.
- Since the new network card didn't work, I am leaning towards it being some setting issue - but I didn't change anything.
- I contacted network support at the dorms, but it will be after spring break before they can help me (a week from Monday).

Any help would be appreciated.

There were a few other things I did in my google research (mainly a lot of pinging with mixed results) but what I was pinging or what the results were have slipped my mind.

I have no trouble going trough these steps again, or posting screenshots - I just want internet  :(

Thanks!