Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modem/Soundcard/Mouse?  (Read 2489 times)

odell

Modem/Soundcard/Mouse?
« on: November 09, 2005, 10:56:19 AM »
Sounds Confusing huh? Ought to be me!!
I installed an AOpen V.92 modem back in July. soon afterwards I lost all sound over my speakers, except when playing a CD. I was using a PS/2 type mouse at the time. I've gone thru all the steps,contacted AOpen, gone thru all the help sections on this site I could find that related, with no results.
About a month ago my wife asked me if I had another mouse to try, she had no idea why she said just try it.
Well I took out the newer mouse & installed a really old serial mouse that was packed away & PRESTO! Had my sound back. Now I have a new mouse that works much better that I can't use.
  Can't afford to get another mouse, I know they're not much but I'm unemployed at this time. Can anyone give me any ideas as to why this happened? I also have a PS/2 keyboard that works fine with the modem.
       Thanks! :-/

pcdoc4christ

Re: Modem/Soundcard/Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 06:28:17 PM »
Odel:

Resource conflict between the modem and the sound card.  

IRQ steering works great till something goes wrong, then it is a headache!

In Windows Device Manager you can check for resource conflicts: Right click My Computer and select Properties.

In System Properties, click the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.

Best regards,
Doc

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »
About a month ago my wife asked me if I had another mouse to try, she had no idea why she said just try it.

There might be a place for her on this board!  ;)

odell

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 11:14:42 PM »
 According to what I can find there are NO conflicts anywhere. Course I have been using computers long enough now to know they will lie from time to time.
Resources seem to be fine. also the dialup sounds from the modem will Not play over the harddrive speaker, but the system speakers.
The computer self is old(NOW), running an AMD300 processer, ES 1869 Audio Drive, 160 mb ram, & Win 2000 pro. Everything else works great. Do ya know if anyone still makes a serial mouse that would have the wheel?
Oh & there ain't much my little wife can't fix. She don't know technical terms, but she seems to be blessed with an ability to tear into most anything & figure out whats wrong with it!!