Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Pirated Copies will get free upgrade too  (Read 4488 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 10 Pirated Copies will get free upgrade too
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
Not quite sure if I understand why they would automatically make a pirated copy legal?

““We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10.”

“We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies.”

http://www.eteknix.com/pirated-copies-of-windows-10-will-get-the-upgrade-free-too/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Windows 10 Pirated Copies will get free upgrade too
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
Here is the problem:

Image from www,trinitysupplies.com

In China many are still using Windows XP, legal or not. MS wants all to have the same code base.  It was said this somehow helps MS have large user base.

Can't say I understand this.  :-\

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:58 PM »
Absolutely no way i can follow your logic this time Geek...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
Absolutely no way i can follow your logic this time Geek...
Well.. I  did say I  can't understand it.  The article claims that this will help MS wean China users away from Widows XP.  Hard to understand the logic.
<begin green satire>

To illustrate very badly:
Let's say you are a Ford dealer in China. You notices people are driving ten-year old Fords cars, some of them stolen. So then you declare:
"People driving old fords, please listen. Just bring in your old Ford, legal or not. I will give you a free new Ford that  up-to-date good for no change and I not grab you to jail.  Pleaz  help me stop Chevrolet selling cars in your country."
The dealer will make it up on volume.  :P

<end green satire>

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
Well.. I  did say I  can't understand it.  The article claims that this will help MS wean China users away from Widows XP.  Hard to understand the logic.

Given how prevalent and commonplace piracy is, providing an upgraded version at no cost makes the most sense from a market share perspective, And bringing them forward to a newer platform provides further opportunities to sell newer products, both those that can be pirated, as well as those that cannot (such as their subscription services). It can also be considered to be a move against counterfeiters and malware authors, who might make their living selling pirated software copies and inserting malware into those copies before doing so.

Microsoft wants ot push their subscription-based services such as Office 365, Skype, and arguably Azure. Many of these require Windows 8 or later due to System services and capabilities they use. By effectively providing Windows 10 for free to practically everybody not only with a Windows 7 or 8 license but also to those using pirate copies, Microsoft is ensuring that those subscription-based services have a homogenous platform and can be used on more systems.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:48:05 AM »
Ok... so they are sort of going the inkjet printer direction for their OS... as an analogy where say a printer company gave away ink jet printers. In the end they make up their money in all the ink that the customer will be using etc, as well as due to success of FREE with a catch they convert many people to 10 and so they have a larger customer base to sell apps/programs to etc.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »
This is yet another one of these stories where news outlets totally misinterpret what Microsoft actually meant in order to make the headline more appealing.  Microsoft later released an update to what they meant which was that while pirated copies will get the update to Windows 10 (much like they do with other Windows updates such as Windows 8.1), it does not magically make it a genuine or legal copy - The Windows 10 copy is still going to technically be classed as pirated.  The updates can be seen here: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/.

It's not like Microsoft decided "hey, we should give Windows 10 to people with pirated copies", it's because with most pirated copies, it is not possible for Microsoft to easily tell whether the activation is hacked or not.  It's exactly the same as Windows updates, they don't apply to unactivated versions of Windows but if the activation has been hacked, the updater cannot tell that it is a pirated copy and will allow the updates to be installed.

I do certainly see MS moving away from their current model of charging a fortune for Windows licences and instead offering it cheaper with free updates, then making money off of other things like the store and subscriptions for things like Office.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 09:41:44 AM »

it's because with most pirated copies, it is not possible for Microsoft to easily tell whether the activation is hacked or not.

hmm... I figured the WGA was enough to counter the hacked activations etc. But reading the wiki on this it looks like MS dropped the WGA after Vista since there is no info here about 7 or 8. I thought they were still testing validity. But not having any illegal activations of my own  :P, I wasn't aware that it looks like they may have done away with WGA blats.  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »

hmm... I figured the WGA was enough to counter the hacked activations etc. But reading the wiki on this it looks like MS dropped the WGA after Vista since there is no info here about 7 or 8. I thought they were still testing validity. But not having any illegal activations of my own  :P, I wasn't aware that it looks like they may have done away with WGA blats.  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

They did not drop WGA. It is however trivial to workaround. I don't let it install or run at all if I can help it, and consider it invasive spyware.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.