Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opinion on a purchase i am considering  (Read 2702 times)

denchu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Opinion on a purchase i am considering
    « on: March 21, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
    In your opinion ishttp://m.newegg.com/Combo/ComboDetail?comboid=1705016&combotype=2 worth the price increase over http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=83-266-600 assuming i already have an os handy? If so why? Are better systems available for around $500? The $533.99 is a little more than i really want to spend but I will if it really blows the other away. I mainly plan on using this system for video conversion and possibly 3d printing.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Opinion on a purchase i am considering
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:50:13 PM »
    That link you gave shows a price of  $479.99 for a Lenovo H50-55

That brand is well known and is considered a good choice for most home and professional needs.

How much experience do you have in video editing?  Some professional video software is rather expensive.

denchu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:41:31 AM »
      I went to a trade school about a decade ago and was in a multimedia class for about 4 years. Of course back then the main focus was converting vhs tapes to digital format using a system known as AVIO. I haven't done anything like that in quite some time although now I plan on using Adobe Premiere for the video editing and AVS4U to convert to/from different formats. I would like a system that can not only handle these tasks but also can handle rendering 3d objects and animations made in Blender 3D, MAYA or CAD.

denchu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:58:25 AM »
        Here is the second link isolated for clickability. http://m.newegg.com/Combo/ComboDetail?comboid=1705016&combotype=2

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
        For most video applications you would be better off focusing to get the most powerful CPU you can afford and not worrying about a graphics card (most video editing software is reliant on the CPU and you can always add a GPU in later when you have more money if your software does support GPU acceleration).

Therefore I would be more inclined to go for something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883266875 which has a powerful CPU but you aren't spending loads of money on a GPU.  You can always upgrade it down the line to fit a GPU when you have more money if you feel that you need one.

LusoTheGreat

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »
          I agree with camerongray on that PC, I personally use autocad myself on  intel laptops and desktops and for the most part, they never pass 50 of my cpu load. If you do purchase camerongrey's pc suggestion just plan on investing on an extra 4gb ram card if you are going to do any heavy autocad (or similar program) editing. The last thing you want is for your computer to start using virtual ram while rendering a large model.

denchu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »
            Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on doing some CAD type renderings so i will keep the extra memory upgrade in mind. I'll let you know how it goes.