Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Usage Percent Rating (when should I be worried)  (Read 3681 times)

Dragonold103

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    CPU Usage Percent Rating (when should I be worried)
    « on: March 26, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »
    I have a AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz and I like to know when should I be worried.

When I play games it goes up to 10-20% and I like to know If I should be concern or should I take more action. (I mini my CPU Usage a bit already)

If not when should I be worried at what percent?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: CPU Usage Percent Rating (when should I be worried)
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
    There is no percentage that you should be worried about, you should only even be looking at that if you are actually experiencing problems.  It's not like your CPU is going to explode if you reach 100% usage, in fact it is totally normal to reach 100% usage if you are doing something that involves heavy processing.

Ironman

Hopeful
    • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
      • Yes
      • My Personal Site
    « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:10 AM »
    Yeah, as camerongray stated, I don't think there is a magic percentage once your CPU hits that you need to be worries about. What you shoud watch out for is high cpu usage during time which it shouldn't such as when your PC should be idle and even then that could just mean you have a lot of background things running.

The only real substantial thing I could find about it on Wikipedia's article about CPU time:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_time

It states that, "When the CPU usage is above 70%, the user may experience lag." It crealy states "May experience" so its definetly not indicative of a true benchmark.

Dragonold103

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
      ok thank guys

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »
      here is Raymond Chen's notes on the subject of CPU usage.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dragonold103

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 05:05:24 PM »
        ok guys I played some games on highest settings then my cpu got lot then pc shut off completely and I have to wait 30 minutes beofre starting it again I have my side of the computer open so the air can get out faster but that didn't work, Is there anything that may work?

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=2252&game=Planetside+2&p_make=AMD&p_deriv=FX-8350&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+760&ram=8&screenRes_width_FPS=1440&screenRes_height_FPS=900&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

This is a link I used to see what will the performance be
        « Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:21:16 PM by Dragonold103 »

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »
        Use a program like HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) to find the temperature of parts in your system when running a game and post back.  It would be also useful to know what you have in terms of CPU cooling.

Running the PC with the side off can actually hurt temperatures as it messes up the airflow through the PC caused by the fans.  You should always run the PC with the side on for optimal temperatures.

Dragonold103

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »
          Ok i got sick and tried of this so I opened up my computer and to see what is wrong with the cpu the gel for the cpu came out because there was a bubble allowing the cpu to be heater then it should so I put more on and that fixed it completely.

The gel is called Nexx-Tech Heatsink Compound. It worked, thank you so if anyone else is having over heat problems the issue cloud be the gel came out and so you have to clean up the old and put in some now one.

OK thanks.