Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Budget build  (Read 3433 times)

lavaughn

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Budget build
    « on: March 24, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
    Hello all am new to the forums and looking for some advice in building a budget pc... I live in the bahamas an was told that tigerdirect might be the best option for me to order from since it closer to me but am open to opinions.

I am trying to build a nice pc for abit of gaming,converting movie files to burn to dvd blanks.. I am looking for some thing that can handle those with not much a trouble. Am working with a budget of 400 US, so far this is what i came across so far what do you guys thing an what would you change to stay in that price range..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M7wZL

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Budget build
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
    Do you have an existing computer your upgrading from to reuse OS and the DVD Burner from? No DVD-RW drive is listed in your parts list and no OS. If going with Windows your looking at like $120+ for the drive and OS on top of what you have listed if having to buy all this. If going with Linux OS its free and your looking at probably $20+ for a burner depending on which one you go with.

lavaughn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
      i already got a cd drive an os cd with me

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »
      Any specific games you want to play and any specific performance requirement such as playable or playable with ultra graphics and 60+ fps?

If your games are not that demanding and regular graphics settings are fine, then more money can be invested into a better CPU vs cutting corners on a CPU as a means to include a better GPU.

I have been having pretty good luck using middle range video cards that are inexpensive that can play the games for say 2 or 3 years before a newer game title requires a better video card in which the same system can just get an upgrade to the next best mid range video card inexpensively. I have also bought high end video cards used for like 25% of the cost new which are someone elses prior gaming card which are generally better performance for the same money as a new mid-low range video card.

Have you considered buying any of your parts used to save money vs new, and do you want Intel or AMD for the CPU?

lavaughn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
        Any specific games you want to play and any specific performance requirement such as playable or playable with ultra graphics and 60+ fps?

If your games are not that demanding and regular graphics settings are fine, then more money can be invested into a better CPU vs cutting corners on a CPU as a means to include a better GPU.

I have been having pretty good luck using middle range video cards that are inexpensive that can play the games for say 2 or 3 years before a newer game title requires a better video card in which the same system can just get an upgrade to the next best mid range video card inexpensively. I have also bought high end video cards used for like 25% of the cost new which are someone elses prior gaming card which are generally better performance for the same money as a new mid-low range video card.

Have you considered buying any of your parts used to save money vs new, and do you want Intel or AMD for the CPU?

My old pc had a intel quad core processor i had that pc lets say about 8 years now.. The cpu still is good but the board is dead.. Am just mostly intrested in converting movies to burn to dvd's.. As for gaming right now i only play a only game called pwi,but who knows i just might venture into playing something else

Now that you mention it am wondering now if i should just get me a board an continue to use the cpu i have now its a CORE 2 quad Q8300.. Since its still working
        « Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:03:07 AM by lavaughn »

lavaughn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »

My old pc had a intel quad core processor i had that pc lets say about 8 years now.. The cpu still is good but the board is dead.. Am just mostly intrested in converting movies to burn to dvd's.. As for gaming right now i only play a only game called pwi,but who knows i just might venture into playing something else

Now that you mention it am wondering now if i should just get me a board an continue to use the cpu i have now its a CORE 2 quad Q6600.. Since its still working

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »
          Any reason for quoting your other Post ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "