Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 email  (Read 3831 times)

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I ask, therefore I learn!
    • Experience: Beginner
    Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 email
    « on: March 28, 2015, 01:47:16 PM »
    I am unable to open my Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 email.  Whenever I click on the icon it displays a message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook . . . ."  The entire message is attached.  Can you help? Thanks, Micromos

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Salmon Trout

Re: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 email
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »
      Thank you for the information however, I am totally at a loss to follow the instructions shown on the web site. I don't even know where to look for the "Change Office User Settings".  Page 10 of 24 . . of what?  This issue just suddenly occurred and I had made no changes of any kind. I wonder if this a planned obsolesence on the part of Microsoft?  I wish I was more computer intelligent! Micromos

halstead

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »
        Are you using office 2003? Outlook 2003 is included in office 2003. Unfortunately, that office version by Microsoft has no longer support. You have to upgrade your outlook to function it well.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:26:16 AM »
        Are you using office 2003? Outlook 2003 is included in office 2003. Unfortunately, that office version by Microsoft has no longer support. You have to upgrade your outlook to function it well.
        Just because Microsoft no longer support Office 2003, doesn't mean that it will just stop working...  ::)

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
          I took my computer into the Geek Squad but they could not retrieve my Microsoft Outlook email account.  OR I could purchase an updated account for about $220. . . NOT!!  So I lost all my calendar events and my address list. Thanks to Microsoft I guess.  Can I ask for some good free email provider suggestions from you experts?  I suppose all the providers inundate with ads.  That's what I liked about Microsoft Outlook.  Thanks for your help. Micromos  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
          I took my computer into the Geek Squad but they could not retrieve my Microsoft Outlook email account.  OR I could purchase an updated account for about $220. . . NOT!!  So I lost all my calendar events and my address list. Thanks to Microsoft I guess.  Can I ask for some good free email provider suggestions from you experts?  I suppose all the providers inundate with ads.  That's what I liked about Microsoft Outlook.  Thanks for your help. Micromos  ;D

Geek squad scammed you. What they told you sounds like nonsense. the only "outlook account" you can purchase is the Office 365 subscription product for Outlook (as part of Office, like 2003, 2008,2010,2013); otherwise, Outlook is a free webmail service. It sounds like they have no idea what they are doing, what files Outlook uses, or what to check and rather than accept their ignorance formatted your hard drive or uninstalled Outlook 2003.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »
            Sounds right. If I had the 2003 disc I would just re-install it but I no longer have it.

Blair

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
            My Wife told me, (and I believe my wife) that Microsoft is trying to sway everyone into the Online Office so the need for having MS Office installed on your device is going to be phased out.

Do I believe it?  Wait, see!
            Until that time comes, we can naturally expect little to no support from Microsoft.  They proved that when they abandoned XP and all the users of XP...including myself.
            My wife omits Outlook from Office and uses the Linux equivalent for the same tasks that Outlook provided.
            The rest of MS Office she uses regularly...more around tax time!

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 05:33:20 AM »
            Yes, Microsoft has a stated direction of "cloud" (Office 365, Azure, etc). And yes, MS Office will be phased out - but certainly not anytime in the near future.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »
            Can I ask for some good free email provider suggestions from you experts?  I suppose all the providers inundate with ads.  That's what I liked about Microsoft Outlook. 
            Mozilla's email client called Thunderbird is a good alternative to MS Outlook.  You can get it at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »
              Do you know if Mozilla Thunderbird's mail has a bunch of advertising like Yahoo or AOL?   Does it have a calendar? Thx

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
              Do you know if Mozilla Thunderbird's mail has a bunch of advertising like Yahoo or AOL?   
              It does not.

Does it have a calendar?
              I haven't used Thunderbird for awhile, so I'm not sure but I believe it does not have a calendar in itself.  But, Mozilla makes a calendar program that can be installed along with Thunderbird; this calendar integrates with Thunderbird.  See https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/projects/calendar/

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 07:38:38 PM »
                Great information.  I will investigate Mozilla Thunderbird.  I really appreciate this board and the posters. Thx