Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8 boot from USB "NTLDR missing ..."  (Read 5434 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Windows 8 boot from USB "NTLDR missing ..."
    « on: March 28, 2015, 01:48:45 PM »
    I have a Win8 OEM disc, and want to install it from a USB drive as my laptop has got no DVD drive. For that reason I'm using WinToFlash application, but when the system boots from that USB drive, I'm getting something like "NTLDR missing ...". I tryed another application too (This is the link of it http://getintopc.com/tutorials/windows-7-usb-installation/) with exactly same outcome.
    I wander how is Win 8 different from Win 7 as using the same WinToFlash I can successfully do the same for Windwos 7 OEM.
    I mean in general, maybe I'm missing something, how do I make a bootable USB drive from a Win 8 OEM disk?

Regards

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 8 boot from USB "NTLDR missing ..."
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »
    Only thing i can think is you may have missed a step or two in creating the USB tool...
    Win8 is no different for doing this than other Win versions...

See Here...

Also you need to check if the laptop  supports booting to USB devices...if it does you need to change that setting in the BIOS...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »
      Thanks Patio,
      Let's drop the BIOS settings for sure, as I installed Win7 on that vary same laptop. BIOS doesn't matter for sure. As for missing a step, I don't know, I just did both Win7 and Win8 2 times exact same way. Can't blame on DVD either, as my desktop, that has a DVD drive, successfully booted from it.
      What else?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
      No idea...if you are gonna rule out your BIOS settings as they may have changed...oh well...
      If you dont think you did anything wrong building the bootable USB ...again oh well.

There is Zero difference in doing it between 7 ...and 8.

So if 7 worked...and 8 doesn't i don't know what to say except double-check things as i suggested.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »
      BTW which PC is this Win8 OEM disc for ? ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »
      Microsoft provides a tool for creating alternative install media from the Installation DVD here.

One issue is that it may not work for OEM Windows copies. OEM Windows copies are designed and explicitly state within the OEM System Builders License agreement that they are only to be used for the creation of preinstallation packages using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (From Windows Vista onwards). It is against the EULA to purchase a OEM copy of Windows Vista, 7, or 8 and then install and use that copy yourself, but many people do not realize this. You can see this in the License here. XP and earlier OEM copies included a clause that effectively stated that if you were building a system for yourself, you could consider yourself the "Customer" as detailed in the rest of the License, whereas Vista and Later changed this.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:19:56 AM »
        Patio,
        It is for HP 8470P laptop.
        OEM WIn8 that I received from HP is for this machine. OEM Win7 I have is for another Samsung laptop. But that doesn't matter, it still works for HP except for key, that I don't care, for testing purposes it's OK, anyways I'm not going to use it on HP.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 02:27:04 AM »
          BC-Programmer,
          Thanks for that link.
          Actually I know about it, but the thing is that as you said that's not an option for me, as my target is to do it with OEM Windows not Retail.
          As for EULA, rules ..., long message short, I'm telling you exact same thing works OK for this Win7 OEM and if for this HP it installs without key, on it's right match Samsung it installs perfect.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »
          I think BC is right.
          MS has taken steps to curb even small scale OS piracy.  An individual can not get a low-cost version of Windows and run it on two machines unless MS wants it to.
          This article was published two years ago.
          Microsoft to start a campaign against pirated versions of its operating systems
          To curb the use of unlicensed XP, Microsoft has already come up with a plan to shut down XP systems after April 2014. It has already announced on an official note that all XP users (whether licensed or not) must upgrade their PC’s to Windows 7 by April 2014. Any system working on XP OS will be remotely shut down after the said period. So, all those who will be using this 2001 released OS after the said date, will not be entertained by the company.
          As I said, that was published two  years ago. The fact that you can still use XP does not mean MS has given up. Rather MS has in place tools that with make it more and more difficult to individuals to circumvent the EULA rules. Furthermore, MS has alternative policies in different regions of the world.
          Meanwhile, MS less us use Windows 8.1 enterprise trial version free for 90 days.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »
          Well you are using an OEM CD to install to a PC that didn't ship with it so with all things considered the Topic is Closed...