Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unreadable sections of C drive - cannot copy  (Read 7226 times)

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Re: Unreadable sections of C drive - cannot copy
    « Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 04:02:31 AM »
    Just looking around my Acronis directories before going to bed...found Bootable Rescue Media Builder shortcut.  I ran it and created a bootable file on a CD.  But I couldn't create an ISO file on another CD.  I got the error: Specified location does not exist or you do not have permission to write to this location.  Does the CD have to be formatted?

I also did not include the Driver Cleanser option.  I didn't think it was needed.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »
    Too bad  you don't remember the serial number. Still, you should be able to make the recovery CD.
    http://www.acronis.com/en-us/company/inpress/2007/03-15-boot-loader-2.html

Acronis Bootable Rescue Media can be created in the following formats:

Floppy Disk
        CD-R/RW
        USB Flash Devices
        .ISO File

The author goes  on to say...
    The Acronis True Image 10 Media Builder can also create .ISO Files — image files that can be burned to a CD or DVD. Using the wizard, you can create an Acronis True Image .ISO file to a folder on your hard drive. When you click on that file to open it, it will launch your burning software with all the necessary parameters to burn your bootable Acronis True Image disc. If you don't feel like trying to shut down your packet writing software every time you go to burn an Acronis True Image disc, this is a quick and easy way around the issue. Whenever you upgrade to a newer True Image build, you should always create updated recovery media with the new version to avoid any unexpected issues.
    Keep at it and you will beat it.    :)

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »
      I am completely lost here and have no idea what I'm reading.  It's not making any sense to me.  Your link put me on page 2, but the other pages don't make much sense either.

IOW, I don't have a clue at this point.  Can you explain further?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 02:19:05 PM »
      At this point we're going to assume the hd is shot. Go ahead and continue to try to restore the Acronis created image.

As for creating a bootable recovery cd, I really don't understand what the issue is. Why don't you post the steps you are trying to follow and exactly wheer you are having a problem following them and then let's see what we can do.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
        I have downloaded the DOSDLG program (for DOS) for WD hard drives.

The instructions say to back up your data on the drive first.  I can't do that.  Then it says to copy the files to a bootable CD and boot the system off of the CD to run the program. 

I created what I assume is a bootable CD using the Rescue Media Builder from Acronis.  It's not an ISO file.  I tried to use the ISO option to another CD but it wouldn't work because it said a specific location didn't exist. 

I'm guessing that I have to somehow put the DOSDLG program onto the bootable CD - probably in the Startup section so that it will automatically run. 

That's where I'm at right now.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »
        Sorry - guess I wasn't clear. Let's forget the diagnostic utility and concentrate on creating an Acronis bootable disc to restore to a different drive. Where are you running into the problem?

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
          Well, I just tested the Acronis bootable CD.  It gives me an option on  boot up - Acronis True Image Home (Full Version) or Windows.

The Windows option boots from the HD.  The Acronis True Image Home option just gives me a blank screen.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »
          Have you tried to contact Acronis ?
          That have a forum.
          https://forum.acronis.com/forum/68510
          See 68510: Acronis True Image - Legacy Boot

It might be possible to get a legacy ISO for Acronis.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »
            I will try that.  Meanwhile I was still wondering...couldn't I put my C drive in another machine and CHKDSK /R it?  Even if that other machine has the exact same motherboard and OS?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
            Yes, you can do that.  If the disc is highly corrupted it may very well not help.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »
              Is there a chance I can ruin the HD so that it will be unbootable?  That is my major concern.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
              Is there a chance I can ruin the HD so that it will be unbootable?  That is my major concern.
              No.
              Yes, you can make it uncountable, but you will not ruin it. The boot information is on the first part of the hard drive and normally the windows  system does not write into that area. Exceptions for a few things.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                « Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 06:45:09 PM »
                OK, thanks.   So I'll just run a CHKDSK /R on it. 

I'll give it a try on my son's computer tomorrow.  I am a bit concerned because Acronis stopped at the 3% mark.  Hopefully that's past the bootable sectors - in fact I'm guessing that it has to be, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to boot in the first place!  But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed here - like I said, flying without a parachute.

If everything goes well, I'm guessing you would suggest making a clone and replacing this HD.  That would make sense to me.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:18:25 PM by bullwinkle »

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  « Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
                  I connected the C drive to the other computer and ran chkdsk /r.  This is the message I received:

Chkdsk cannot open because the volume is in use by another process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.  ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.  Would you like to force a dismount of this volume? (Y/N)

I have to be very cautious here, because this is the only drive that has my OS.

Should I say yes?

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                    « Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
                    I think I figured it out...I ran the PC in safe mode with command prompt.  It just finished running - I didn't get to see the results, got called away.

I'll test the Acronis clone procedure later - keep you posted.

BTW is there any procedure you would recommend to avoid this in the future?  e.g. a bootable ISO CD?  Still not sure what that is or how it works. 

Always looking for better ways to backup - in addition to my monthly disk cloning process.