Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Default Email Not Installed Correctly  (Read 3662 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Default Email Not Installed Correctly
    « on: April 02, 2015, 05:39:27 AM »
    Trying to help my SIL. Have not had a chance to look for myself but here is what happened: she was trying to close an Excel spreadsheet and an IE 11 pop-up said it could not perform the operation because the default email client was not correctly installed. She clicked ok and shut down her PC. During shutdown, she got a message saying 47 programs had to be closed. After restart, she opened Excel and her changes had been saved so apparently everything worked ok despite the error message. I have no idea what the 47 open programs were. She does not have an email client on her PC as she does all of her email by logging onto her Verizon webmail account. She has Google Chrome set as her default browser. We had to do this because IE 11 will not communicate with Verizon for some unknown reason. Apparently this problem (IE 11/Verizon) is well known and discussed by both Verizon and MS. From what I have read, she will have to install an email client such as Win Live Mail and set that as default. However, what has changed that started this problem? Perhaps a recent Win 7 update? Also, do you think setting Chrome as default browser is causing the problem? Finally, what does IE 11 have to do with Excel? I am pretty sure she has MS Office 2010 Home and Student which does not have (I think) Outlook. Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Default Email Not Installed Correctly
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:47:10 AM »
    From what I have read, she will have to install an email client such as Win Live Mail and set that as default.
    Why do you think that?  You said she accesses her mail via web browser, the webmail approach.  So, why do you think she needs to install an email client? 

what does IE 11 have to do with Excel?
    Nothing. 

During shutdown, she got a message saying 47 programs had to be closed.
    Was this a single occurrence or does it repeatedly happen?

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:14:37 AM »
      I was searching for an answer and several responses on the MS forums said you must have an email client installed in order to have a default client email. That made sense to me. I did ask her if any of the additions/changes she made on Excel involved an email address and one did. So, when I get my hands on her PC I will check to see what the mailto protocol default is. I am guessing the email correction she made in Excel prompted a mailto and IE went bonkers because it could not find it? Yes, this was the first time it happened.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:17:24 AM »
      For some reason she had 47 instances open...how PC savvy is she BTW ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
        For some reason she had 47 instances open...how PC savvy is she BTW ? ?

To be blunt, she knows absolutely nothing and her husband knows less. Her former SIL did everything and now I am trying to help. I do not know much, but with the help I get here, I have been able to do some pretty amazing (to me, lol) stuff. Fortunately we both have the same OS. She has no extra software installed so I can not imagine where the 47 open programs came from. If you opened a website and minimized it instead of closing it, would that be an open program?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »
        OK...just checkin...
        She had alot of stuff runnin in the background it seems...however it could have simply been browser tabs and a bunch of Excel docs at once.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:44:03 AM »
          OK...just checkin...
          She had alot of stuff runnin in the background it seems...however it could have simply been browser tabs and a bunch of Excel docs at once.

Yes, but if Chrome is default, why is she getting an IE11 pop-up when she closes Excel?

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »
          I was searching for an answer and several responses on the MS forums said you must have an email client installed in order to have a default client email. That made sense to me. I did ask her if any of the additions/changes she made on Excel involved an email address and one did. So, when I get my hands on her PC I will check to see what the mailto protocol default is. I am guessing the email correction she made in Excel prompted a mailto and IE went bonkers because it could not find it? Yes, this was the first time it happened.
          So, your SIL has email addresses in Excel, right?  That wasn't clear to me from your first post.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
            So, your SIL has email addresses in Excel, right?  That wasn't clear to me from your first post.

Right, I did not know when I made my first post. But after some research it seemed like manipulating emails in Excel might be relevant so I asked her about it. She told me the last batch of changes she had made just before the error message involved one email. Don't know exactly what she is doing but it has something to do with her HS reunion so I assume the Excel spreadsheet includes names, email addresses, etc.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
            In that case (using Excel for an email list), installing an email client would probably be the best solution.  By installing an email program, i.e. client, Windows has an email-specific program to work with, a program it can recognize as the program needed when an email address in Excel, Word, etc. is clicked on.  Windows 7 did not come from Microsoft with a bundled email client, unlike previous version of Windows which had Outlook Express or Windows Mail (Windows Vista).  But, a free email client called Windows Live Mail can be downloaded from Microsoft.  A non-Microsoft alternative is an email client called Thunderbird, from Mozilla, the folks the make the Firefox browser. 

Windows Live Mail is part of a larger package called Windows Essentials.  Thunderbird can be downloaded from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download.  Since your SIL is using MS Office Home and Student, I'm a bit inclined to recommend Windows Live Mail over Thunderbird. 

If an email client is installed, the email account(s) will have to be set up in the email client.  In other words, simply installing the email client will not allow it to immediately start handling email. It does not know what email accounts you have until you tell it, i.e. setup the email account.  And, if she starts using an email client and continues to access the same email account via webmail (web browser), she needs to understand that sending email from webmail access will not cause those messages to appear in the email client since it is a separate program, assuming the email account is setup in the email client as a POP-type email account, which is quite common.  So, using the email client for all email activity might be the best approach, at least while she's involved in planning he HS class reunion. 

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
              Yes, I use Win Live and also have the same Verizon webmail as my SIL so I understand what you are saying. I suggested some time ago that she might want to try a client email on her desktop because it is much easier, imo, than having to log into Verizon. However, she wants everything to stay the same. I am concerned about Win Live on her PC as it is a very underpowered rig with only 512MB of RAM.

Not sure if this is important, but she was not trying to send an email from Excel. I believe she was just entering or changing an email address as an entry on the spreadsheet. I was speculating that this prompted her PC to open email client and error message popped-up because she has no email client. Does this make sense?

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
                Solved with Win Live Mail and email account. Without the client email, clicking on an email link in Excel made the PC go wacky trying repeatedly to load IE. This is where the 47 programs came from. System becomes unresponsive and you have to force a shutdown. Thanks to all for your help.