Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What are the extra keys for?  (Read 4287 times)

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    What are the extra keys for?
    « on: April 02, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
    Hi  -
    Now is the time to educate an old man.  I have had my computer for several years and for what I want I've gotten along OK.  However, I have wondered what the extra keys on my keyboard are for.  What I am referring to is the extra set of numbers on the left side.  If I bought a new keyboard would I get the same thing that I have now or would it only have the main keyboard.  I am not talking about a touch screen nor do I want one.  Thanks for your help.      Bob

Salmon Trout

Re: What are the extra keys for?
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
    Are you sure they are on the left? Most keyboards have "extra numbers" on the right, which form the "numeric keypad", which is useful for data entry & using an onscreen calculator, especially for people used to using desk calculators, adding machines etc.

Does your keyboard layout look like this?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:33:32 PM by Salmon Trout »

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »
      Salmon Trout  -
      You are right on the right!!  I wasn't paying attention.  I could not call up your screen shot of the keyboard.   However, thanks for your explanation.    Bob

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »
      Computer Keyboard images from Google.

A new keyboard does not have to be expensive.
      But the cheap ones wear out in a year.

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
        Salmon Trout  -
        My keyboard is like the middle one in the picture that Geek-9pm was kind enough to show me.  My keyboard was made by emachines.  I am not planning on buying a new one but was wondering if I could get a simpler one.  I have never used the extra keys on this one. 
        Bob

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »
        You can get keyboards without a number pad yes, they are known as "tenkeyless" (http://deskthority.net/wiki/Tenkeyless_keyboard).  The idea is that it lets you move the mouse closer to where your hands sit on the keyboard.  However they are only available as high end premium keyboards and don't come cheap.  If your current one works fine, I see little point in replacing it just to get rid of the number pad.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 06:13:20 PM »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
        Not in your spelling it doesn't....
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
        Not in your spelling it doesn't....
        After awhile the black wore off of some keys and I  get  the A ans S confused. And the C .  And the E and the O.  :'(

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:41 AM »
        However they are only available as high end premium keyboards and don't come cheap.

This one called a Slim Chiclet is used by many Raspberry Pi owners and costs 8 UK pounds, around 12 US dollars

There are plenty of cheap "compact" keyboards at that price and upwards, in fact I never heard of the "tenkeyless" name until today.  A lot of people use them for ergonomic reason e.g. if they have wrist stiffness or other hand problems, my employer provides them in such cases.

This is the Targus Compact also around 8 pounds

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 04:53:43 AM »
          Hi  -
          To those who answered,  my thanks.  The amount of information is amazing.  One thing that always impresses me is long distant calls. Some of the above information was about English products.  I assume the writer was English.  I can remember when long distant calls were extra charge, not free.     Bob

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 05:23:01 AM »
          Some of the above information was about English products.  I assume the writer was English.

I am English. The products I mentioned are advertised in England but they are not specifically "English" products, like most electronic things these days, they come from Asia - China probably, and you can buy them locally in just about every country in the world.

We still have to pay extra for long distance phone calls, but of course using the Internet from a computer is not any kind of phone call! I guess on dial-up you may get billed but you don't pay more to see far away web sites.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:46:49 AM by Salmon Trout »

strollin

Adviser
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »
          Hi  -
          To those who answered,  my thanks.  The amount of information is amazing.  One thing that always impresses me is long distant calls. Some of the above information was about English products.  I assume the writer was English.  I can remember when long distant calls were extra charge, not free.     Bob
          In the early days of going on-line there were Bulletin Board Systems or BBSs.  These were stand alone computer systems, each with their own telephone number to call for access.  It was often the case that long distance phone charges were encountered if you called a BBS that wasn't local to you.

The internet is different, it's as if all those once stand alone computer systems were all connected together (referred to as websites).  Now you connect locally but because all those stand alone systems are connected together, you can access them all with no long distance phone charges.

You are absolutely correct when you say the amount of information is amazing.  If you don't believe that, pull up your favorite search engine (such as Google) and type in a subject you are interested in and you will instantly be provided with links to many sites dealing with that subject.  For instance, search for keyboard in your favorite search engine and you will be amazed at what comes up.

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »
            Salmon Trout  -
            I am English by ancestor.  My name is Harwell.  My ancestors home was a boys school but was taken over by the government during WW II for atomic work.  I could tell you a tale but I will not bore you.         Bob