Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU came w/: floppy drive and molex connectors?  (Read 3137 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    PSU came w/: floppy drive and molex connectors?
    « on: April 04, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
    Just opened up my Corsair hx750:
    It came w/ 4 SATA connectors.

But I believe it came with 2 floppy drive and 4 molex connectors?

What the heck are floppy drive connectors used for?  Old school dinosaur floppy drives?
    And molex connectors used to be used a while ago before molex correct?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PSU came w/: floppy drive and molex connectors?
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 08:54:42 AM »
    From Corsair.com:
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx-series-hx750-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu
    This is what you mean?
    To be backwards compatible a replacement PSU should have all the connectors that are used in past and present computers. The connectors add little to the cost.  Did you specify tart you did not want the older connectors?

Don't worry about electricity dripping our of the unused connectors. Stephen Hawkins says it is not important.
      :P

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:59:48 AM »
    I have seen the small floppy drive power connectors actually used for other devices other than floppy drives that they are more commonly used for.

Here are some devices I have seen use that plug:

5.25" Bay Temp/Fan Controller with display ( about 8 years ago )
    Cheap Communication Conversion Boards ( SATA to IDE ) . The better ones use 4 pin molex power.
    5.25" Bay Card Reader and USB Ports. (* It used this floppy power connection as a 5V booster for powering USB devices at front panel vs powered through motherboards USB 5V power )
    Iomega Zip Drives ( about 10 years ago )

Other than that, this connection is rarely used anymore, and I have used it myself for adding additional fans inside my case for airflow in which I cut the plug off, wire a fan or 2 off of this power tap direct and insulate it with shrink tube such as a system that I upgraded for my daughter with a passive heatsink video card and the video card was so hot without airflow that you could get a blister if touching the heatsink surface. I know this because I was curious as to the temp of the GPU heatsink and touched it and I burned the tip of my finger on the heatsink. Adding a 80mm fan tie wrapped to the inside of the frame and blowing air across the passive heatsink made the video card run way cooler and then when touching it later it was just warm to touch but not burning hot. Video card in her system was a PowerColor AMD ATI Radeon HD5450 with 1GB, a $30 video card which was way better than the Geforce 6150SE integrated that the Dell has in it.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »
    Both floppy and molex connectors are still commonly used.  Molex for example are very regularly used for things such as case fans and fan controllers.  I've also seen things such as card readers that use floppy connectors.  There isn't really a reason to leave them out just because they aren't used as often.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
    Stephen Hawkins
    I get so tired of this. The famous British theoretical physicist is called Stephen HAWKING. Not Hawkins, not Hawkings, not Hawkin.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
    Thank you, Duly noted.  :-[
    (Looking for the quotation...)
    Found it.
    Dave Barry in Cyberspace (1996)

:)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
    What ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »
    What the heck are floppy drive connectors used for?  Old school dinosaur floppy drives?
    They are used for Floppy Drives, Internal Card Readers, Some PCI-E cards such as sound cards and even USB cards use it for added power because they do not require the massive amount of power provided by a PCI-E Power plug; Fan control panels as camerongray stated. Many modern Tape Drives still use it for some reason, and older ones do too, of course.

And molex connectors used to be used a while ago before molex correct?
    They are used for some of the same connections that the peripheral power connector is used for. Some fans are connected via Molex connectors, and some fan controllers use a molex rather than a P13 connector. Also even for a motherboard that doesn't have any IDE host adapter, PCI-E Cards can be purchased that provide IDE connectivity which would require Molex connections.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.