Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 fans stacked on top of each other going 1 direction?  (Read 8287 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    2 fans stacked on top of each other going 1 direction?
    « on: April 10, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
    Has anyone tried putting 2 fans back to back.  Both pushing air the same direction?

My case has an intake fan, but you cant see it from inside the case.  The interior is red and black theme.  Just wondering what would happen if I stacked another fan ( corsair AF 140mm red/black ) directly behind the non visable intake fan. 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: 2 fans stacked on top of each other going 1 direction?
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:35:33 AM »
    Because the fan's won't be spinning perfectly in sync all you'll get is more noise and less airflow.  Stacking fans is sometimes used in servers where mega high speed 40mm fans can be placed one in front of the other, but that's more for redundancy.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 02:44:09 AM »
    An interesting article at Overclockers.com explains why you generally get just more noise. It is about using stacked fans on a CPU heatsink, but the reasoning applies to case fans too. The guy did some tests, and got some improvement by using two different brand fans spinning in opposite directions but he concludes it is not worth doing.

http://www.overclockers.com/fan-stacking-myth-vs-reality/

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:45:32 AM »
    I tried it once but it made more noise because although the same size 80mm fans, both pushing air in the same direction, because the blades were not teamed ( physically joined ) wind sheer happened at the close air gap between both fan blades, as well as the plastic frame of the sandwiched muffin fan and it made a humming noise as one blade was sheering off past the other fans blade as well as the front fan blade was very near the backside plastic frame that holds the guts of the other fan center to its frame.

I suppose if you could find 2 fans that spun reverse direction to each other you could team them by a perfectly centered epoxy to join both exposed fan faces and this way they would be physically teamed and would be quieter than that of 2 fans that with an RPM difference you get the noise of the opposing blades sheering the air between their air gaps.

Most computer fans I have come across spin in the same direction, and its not as easy as reversing the polarity to the fan because 99.9% of the fans out there are brushless and PWM is used with a circuit board that requires power only in its correct polarity and this board pulses fixed magnets in the inside of the fan blade from a set of coils that are in close proximity with the fixed magnet to get the fan to spin. Reversing polarity will cause a smoke show or will kill the fan.

If your looking for good airflow and quiet your options are large low rpm fans that move vast amounts of air quietly or the squirrel cage type that use centrifugal force to drive the air channeled. Laptops, servers, and some desktop systems use fans of this type. They come in different CFM airflow and RPM rate of spin. I use these slot fans for adding airflow and keeping systems quiet. http://www.firstpr.com.au/sys-admin/Silent-Hard-Drive/two-fans.jpg