Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sure protectors / protecting my investment . . .  (Read 2554 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Sure protectors / protecting my investment . . .
    « on: April 12, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »
    Spent a lot of $ on my build.  Has not been put together yet.  But in the coming weeks I will get it done.

I didn't have a budget in mind when I started.  But if I did I WAY exceeded it.

What's the best way to protect my computers ( 2 ), and all my monitors & TV?

Surge protectors work by stopping X electricity from reaching your device?  Preventing failure?  Is a surge protector all I need / want?

Assuming I need 8-10 outlets.  And I have 2 separate wall outlets to work with 6' apart from each other.  What's the best way to do this?  1 massive 8-10 outlet surge protector?   The amount of protection from a surge protector is measured in joules right?  The more joules the better?  What would be a good amount of joules? 

And does anyone have any brand/model recommendations?

Thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sure protectors / protecting my investment . . .
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:45:55 PM »
    Yes, surge protection is a very good idea. The quality of surge protectors varies widely.  You can search the Intent for objective articles about the need for surefge protections.

One consideration is about how power enters your home or office. The electrical panel may or may not have surge protection built in. You could ask a certified electrician or take a look for yourself. Often they do not. But you can add surge protections to the electrical panel.
    See these two videos.

Surge protection devices consume very little power in normal operation. So redundant protection is a piratical choice.

Of special concern are other wires that enter the house. In some cases these other wires may be hit by a lightning strike . The surge protection in the well socket does little to protect a TV connected to an outdoor cable, unless the cable company installed proper protection.

References:
    https://www.portlandgeneral.com/safety_outages/surge_protection/understanding_surges_spikes.aspx
    And...
    Surge Protectors for Your HDTV
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:02:11 PM by Geek-9pm »