Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help overclocking computer  (Read 2933 times)

kaboom36

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    help overclocking computer
    « on: April 16, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
    so i have this old computer and its rather junky but still runs and isent half bad for playing movies thing is i want it to be faster so it can load movies faster i want to overclock it but the fans are very loud and very crappy (i have to keep the case open to keep it cool so the fans dont wake everyone in the state up) can someone roccoment a set of cpu coolers and some good case fans too all for someone on a budget? i wold put a airconditioner on there but thats to expensive  ;)
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:43:50 AM by kaboom36 »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: help overclocking computer
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:10:10 AM »
    What make/model computer is it or if custom built the specs on it.

If you are able to overclock it, you could go with liquid cooling which could be quitter.

I am still using non-liquid cooling with my 10% overclocked system and it stays plenty cool. Replacing the heatsink with a new replacement may quiet it down as well as if the BIOS has a temp fan control you can set it up to where it will not spin or spin slowly until it senses the temp is a specific temp in which it sends a pwm signal to the fan and it controls the speed of the fan it wont be running full tilt when the cpu is idle etc.

With more info on this system including what CPU it is running I can assist further as for there are some differences between AMD and INTEL configs.

kaboom36

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
      its a old emachine from somewhere around 2001-2005 it has 512 mb of pci ram

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »
      Totally not worth it, it's not going to be designed for overclocking and any benefit at all is minimal.  In fact, the money you would end up spending on new fans and a CPU cooler will end up costing more the machine is worth and quite likely more than a much better PC would cost used.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »
      I agree with Cameron on this system. I have overclocked old systems to see what performance gain there was and its very minimal. If you had an old Pentium 4 HT and needed to play a game that called for a Pentium D minimum and you weren't going to use the system for modern gaming and weren't going to invest more than like $15 into it, I'd say push the Pentium 4 HT from like 3.0Ghz to 3.3Ghz and try to get the Pentium 4 HT 3.3Ghz with overclock to perform similar to a Pentium D 2.8Ghz. I did this long ago to get Need for Speed - Carbon to run better on a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT system. CPU temp would climb and hold at 63C with this overclock and new thermal compound with massive heatsink with heatpipes. I had the thermal shutdown temp set to 80C and highest seen was 74C on a hot summer day when the air in the home was warmer. For the fact that I gamed mostly evenings when the air was cooler it wasn't much of a problem.

For around $100 you can get a barebone lower end but far more powerful than a 2001-2005 computer for processing power Motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Not promoting this build below as the way to go for a gaming setup, but it did work as a gaming setup for my wife for 2 years prior to getting her a Core 2 Duo E6600 system.

Motherboard CPU Combo Deal at newegg for $65 ( Biostar Socket AM3 Motherboard and Sempron 140 2.7Ghz single-core CPU )
      4GB DDR3 RAM - $25

Prior to this she was running a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT. This older system benchmarked with a CPU score of like 399. The new low end CPU scored 780 for performance, so it was almost 2 x better than the Pentium 4 that she had. It was also very noticeable that it performed better and faster than the Pentium 4 as well which was very surprising for an at the time modern low end budget single-core CPU. I ended up moving her GeForce 8800GT video card from the Pentium 4 to the new build and she was able to game and gaming performance was better than ever for her.

She used this for about 2 years until she started to heavily multitask on it and the Sempron 140 single-core CPU wasn't very good for having many things going at the same time. She played World of Warcraft on it and it played with no lag, but when she has iTunes going, plus browser with many tabs and Facebook running in which Facebook has many CPU hungry background scripts running, and then tried to game, it brought this single-core to its knees. I was given a HP Pavilion tower that was someone elses junk computer that got hit by lightning. I was going to scrap it for reuse of its case, but found that the 56k modem is all that was fried and the modem that was cooked was keeping the motherboard from successfully posting. Removed modem and it was a healthy system. Let the person who I got system from know that I fixed it and do they want it back. They already bought newer system and said I could still keep it. I then upgraded the Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8Ghz 2MB Cache to a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz with 4MB Cache that the board supported and I had this CPU not used in a ESD baggy. She has been using that Core 2 Duo for the last 2.5 years with no problems in performance, but that older Core 2 Duo E6600 is far better performance than the Sempron 140.

Getting back to the Sempron 140, I ended up repurposing this system as our HT PC to play movies and streaming content to the TV with HDMI off of the video card. The Sempron 140 was plenty for quick loading and crisp and lagless streaming of Netflix and movie files.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:05:57 AM »
      There is NO option for OC'ing any eMachine MBoard...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
      Good catch Patio... I missed the fact that the motherboard is in an eMachine that is likely lacking in any overclock features. I had a eMachine motherboard a TriGem 2002.1111 socket 478 that had a Celeron 2.00 Ghz 400Mhz FSB CPU in it and the best CPU I could upgrade to was a Pentium 4 2.00 Ghz 400Mhz FSB CPU. Tried a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 with same FSB and CPU failure beep code. It only would run a 2Ghz CPU. BIOS features were mostly disabled (greyed out) for any custom configs with only config options being boot order and system time etc.

There was no newer flash for the board to support anything faster than a 2Ghz CPU is what it came down to. HP also used some TriGem boards in their lower end cheap Walmart specials. HP also didn't have a bios flash for better CPU support. I still have this board, but it hasn't been used in ages because its just too underprocessing powered compared to todays computing. Last use of it was to see if it would run windows 7, which it barely was able to and I fought with Intel 845GL chipset for 1024x768 graphics forcing a Windows XP driver to 7 32-bit.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:18:50 PM »
      eMachines traditionally bought MBoards in bulk...most from the lowest bidder....i've never in all my years seen 1 of them that could be OC'd...
      Shoot...upgrading even the RAM was a struggle most times.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "