Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: bios update  (Read 13183 times)

danbax

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    bios update
    « on: April 20, 2015, 03:35:14 PM »
    i have the xfx MIA78S8209 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard its an old board but it needs bios update from version 1.0 to 1.8 i have the bios file from:http://xfxstorage.com/Support/BIOS/Motherboard/730a-8200/  extracting the winrar file it becomes an iso ive made bootable usb msdos drive and placed the iso there but when trying to update in dos via awdflash it doesnt recognise this file as a bios update ive tried mounting this iso to get the bios file but nothing shows when mounting so im a bit stuck how do i get the files from this iso image ive tried poweriso,virual clone drive but nothin..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: bios update
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
    As you said, " its an old board." So it may not have an option to boot from USB.
    Did you try to make a CD from the ISO?
    Also, does the BIOS have an option to boot from CD? Is it on?
    You can force a boot from CD by unplugging the hard drive.

danbax

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
      it does boot from usb and this is my only real option at the moment as to updating the bios if i could only get the files from iso i think i would be able to go ahead with the update
      also i did try to make cd from the iso but that didnt work either. im thinking its not an iso atm too

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:43:34 PM »
      if i could only get the files from ISO
      You confuse me. If you make a proper copy of the ISO, the files will be visible on the target devise after you  have finished.

The ISO is herein used to mean a literal copy of the Media, including hidden system files used to boot up. An ISO burner tool has to be used to write to the media.

Was there any documentation or ReadMe files with the package you download ?

danbax

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »
        cant seem to get the iso file to burn correctly, looks like its just burning a shortcut to the iso file location
        as for the read me there's nothing with the bios file however there's instructions to make a usb boot device then place bios update along with awdflash which Ive done successfully and as i say i cant seem to get the bios file to open to place on the usb
        the link above gives me the file 8200V18XFX which is the correct bios but i dont know what to do with it... maybe its broken link or..
        hope someone can help

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
        Whats the BIOS update for ? ?
        BTW you can't simply copy an iso file and expect it to work...and i have no idea why a file that small would be an .iso...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

danbax

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 02:07:38 AM »
          i used ultra iso to burn the iso...
          the bios file is so that my motherboard supports a quad phenom as every roboot crashes and i have to reset cmos to start windows again
          does seem odd that the winrar file is an iso
          i think the file is dead could someone confirm this by tying it?(link is above) or am i doing something wrong with the bios update file

danbax

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:53:43 AM »
            ok guys im not getting very far with this so im going to start fom scratch:
            Im trying to update the bios for my motherboard and it is essential that i do this for my phenom x4 be processor support
            i have the XFX MIA78S8209 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200
            on the following link has all the bios files awdflash,afudos,usb format tool, and bios file 8200V18XFX.zip link:http://xfxstorage.com/
            instructions followed :
            • Download the USB FORMAT ZIP File from the XFX Support Website
            • Unzip the file to a suitable location, such as your desktop
            • Install the HP USB Format program
            • Tick the Create a DOS Startup Disk
            • Then tick “use DOS files located at” blah blah
            • Then click the button shown to assign path
            • Then download the BIOS tools ZIP file for your card from the
            XFX Support website.
            • These are located next to your registered product on the
            downloads option.
            • Once downloaded, unzip them and then copy ALL files to your
            USB stick.
            • Then Reboot your system
            once booted to usb  i get windows 98  copywrite blah blah 1998- blah
            instructions are to • Type the “Flash” command as below and push enter, then it will automatically
            start the flash process
            this command is not recognised so i tried cmd:
            dir and can see the files on the usb
            i have either
            awdflash exe which basically states system was not new awad bios please update  rom version first
            afudos which brings up more dir options

AFUDOS v4.xx

AFUDOS is a BIOS update utility, also referred to as a "BIOS flash utility", with a command line interface for MS-DOS. The target board MUST use AMIBIOS Core 7.xx or AMIBIOS8. Older AMIBIOS systems support the AMIFLASH.COM program.

This utility offers the following features:
            . Small executable file size
            . Quickly update
            . Clear updating information and status
            . Fully compatible with AFUDOS 3.xx command structure

Supported Operating System
            . DOS environment (MS-DOS, FreeDOS, ...)

Getting Started:

Copy the AFUDOS.EXE executable file to any storage location accessible by the host system and then run AFUDOS in command prompt.

Basic Usage:

AFUDOS ROMFILE.ROM /P /C
            . Program main BIOS image, reset CMOS to defaults

AFUDOS ROMFILE.ROM /P /B /N /C
            . Program main BIOS image & bootblock image
            . Reset CMOS and NVRAM to defaults

AFUWIN v4.xx

AFUWIN is an updating system BIOS utility with command line and GUI interface. It has same command line parameters and behavior as AFUDOS plus a simple graphical interface. The target board MUST use AMIBIOS Core 7.xx or AMIBIOS8. Older AMIBIOS systems support the AMIFLASH.COM program, which works in MS-DOS.

AFUWIN Utility is supported in following operating systems:
            . Microsoft® Windows® 98
            . Microsoft® Windows® ME
            . Microsoft® Windows® 2000 (32bit & 64bit editions)
            . Microsoft® Windows® NT 4.0
            . Microsoft® Windows® XP/XP64
            . Microsoft® Windows® PE
            . Microsoft® Windows® Vista (32bit & 64bit editions)

Operating System Driver Requirements:
            . UCOREVXD.VXD Driver for Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME
            . UCORESYS.SYS Driver for Microsoft® Windows® NT/2000/XP/PE/Vista (32bit)
            . UCOREW64.SYS Driver for Microsoft® Windows® XP64 & Vista (64bit)

Getting Started:

Copy AFUWIN.EXE, UCOREVXD.VXD, UCORESYS.SYS and UCOREW64.SYS to any storage location accessible by the host system and then run AFUWIN in command prompt. Remember that three files MUST be in same directory. For launching GUI mode, just double-click on AFUWIN.EXE. TO use in command line mode, run AFUWIN.EXE from a Microsoft® Windows® command prompt.

Usage & Example for command line mode (AFUDOS & AFUWIN).
            Note: many of these options are advanced and can harm your system is used incorrectly.
             +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
             |                   AMI Firmware Update Utility  Ver.4.xx                   |
             |      Copyright (C)2007 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved.      |
             | Usage: AFUWIN <ROM File Name> [Option 1] [Option 2]...                    |
             |           or                                                              |
             |        AFUWIN <Input or Output File Name> <Command>                       |
             |           or                                                              |
             |        AFUWIN <Command>                                                   |
             | ------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
             | Commands:                                                                 |
             |         /O - Save current BIOS into file                                  |
             |         /U - Display ROM file's ROMID                                     |
             |        /Ln - Refer to Options: /Ln                                        |
             |         /M - Refer to Options: /M                                         |
             |       /MAI - Disaply System ROM and ROM file's MA information             |
             |     /HOLE: - Update specific ROM Hole according to given name.            |
             |              NewRomHole1.BIN /HOLE:RomH1                                  |
             |  /HOLEOUT: - Save specific ROM Hole according to given name.              |
             |              NewRomHole1.BIN /HOLE:RomH1                                  |
             |         /D - Verification test of given ROM File without flashing BIOS.   |
             |        /EC - Flash EC firmware BIOS (Refer to OFBD Spec)                  |
             |       /NCB - Flash NCB Area (Refer to OFBD Spec)                          |
             |    /NCBOUT - Output NCB Data according to given name.                     |
             | Options:                                                                  |
             |         /P - Program main BIOS image                                      |
             |         /B - Program Boot Block                                           |
             |         /N - Program NVRAM                                                |
             |         /C - Destroy CMOS checksum                                        |
             |         /E - Program Embedded Controller Block                            |
             |         /K - Program all non-critical blocks                              |
             |        /Kn - Program n'th non-critical block only(n=0-7)                  |
             |         /Q - Silent execution                                             |
             |    /REBOOT - Reboot after programming                                     |
             |         /X - Don't Check ROM ID                                           |
             |         /S - Display current system's ROMID                               |
             |        /Ln - Load CMOS defaults:(n=0-3)                                   |
             |              L0: Load current optimal                                     |
             |              L1: Load current failsafe                                    |
             |              L2: Load optimal from ROM file                               |
             |              L3: Load failsafe from ROM file                              |
             |         /M - Update bootblock MAC address if it exists                    |
             |              Example: /M1234ABCD will update MAC to 1234ABCD              |
             |         /R - Preserve ALL SMBIOS structure during NVRAM programming       |
             |      /ECUF - Update EC BIOS when newer version is detected.               |
             |  /SHUTDOWN - Shutdown after programming.                                  |

most of these options dont work ive tried to use cmd:
            c:/ afudos/ shutdown does even work